Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 200 power vs 250f

I'm riding a 2013 rmz250 that's setup for the woods. My buddy recently bought a 300 xc-w and jumped up to a 14t up front to tone down the power some. It still felt like it had more power than I would need in the singletrack, which is mostly what we ride and race. I'm a 37yr old heavy c class guy and my bike could use a touch more power but not a ton. I'm considering a ktm and the 200 sounds sweet. How much more power will I notice compared to my rmz? With 6 speeds what can you cruise comfortably at on transfer sections and fire roads?

The 200 will have a noticeable amount of more power especially in the lower and mid revs. As far as the cruising thing goes it sort of depends on how you gear the bike. I race in the Vet A class but my bike is geared fairly low most of the time. 13-46 gearing, so it doesn't have a high top speed, the thing is though its very rare that we have a section where you can sustain a speed over 55mph for any length of time. 

As for your buddy and his gearing if the geared the bike up from a 13 tooth to a 14 tooth in order to tame the power he is probably causing himself even more issues in tight sections. If you ride tight woods your bike should be geared low enough that you rarely ever use first gear and even when starting from a stop you'd usually prefer second gear. The issue that you're trying to avoid is having to shift from 1-2 and 2-1 in tight sections, its a more difficult shift to make and if you find neutral instead of the gear you'll lose time. As for taming the power just ride it a gear higher and if you're not running out of gear on high speed sections why bother having a bike capable of 80mph when you only ever go 55?