2001 CR250 clutch cable routing

Need some help

I got a new clutch cable to replace my current one that is starting to fray a little at the control. When I look in the manual it says to route it down the right side of the frame and shows very vague pictures. The only problem the previous owner routed the current one wrong so I have no clear reference on how it should actually go. How it is now doesn't bind at all but I'd like to put it back to proper.

I did take off the right shroud and ran it down what I think is the proper way but wasn’t 100% confident. Does anyone have a picture of how its routed? Do I have to take the tank off as the manual says?

Thanks

Hemps

I don't see any cable routing material. I have an 01' and i routed along the bars under the number plate, under the cdi ,down the right side of the frame, cross over the reeds, not through the head stay and in the clutch cover . I replaced mine a few weeks ago and no problems . 

I don't see any cable routing material. I have an 01' and i routed along the bars under the number plate, under the cdi ,down the right side of the frame, cross over the reeds, not through the head stay and in the clutch cover . I replaced mine a few weeks ago and no problems . 

Thanks! That's the same route I took and what I could gather from the images in the service manual is correct.

Thanks! That's the same route I took and what I could gather from the images in the service manual is correct.

LOL. Well FWIW the Honda service manual clearly shows the routing. Probably wouldn't take much searching to find a free version online. I'm sure one could route the cable in several different configurations and it would work fine... The Honda manual routes the cable between the bars and the # plate, it goes in front of the throttle cable and over the bolt that retains the # plate (not under the cdi). From there it does go down the right side of the frame between the frame and radiator, just below the upper radiator tank. It crosses over the large radiator hose that has the tee in it and goes trough the head stay (not around it). Then through a cable clamp mounted to the upper left reed cage bolt, and down into the case. 

• 9 months later...

LOL. Well FWIW the Honda service manual clearly shows the routing. Probably wouldn't take much searching to find a free version online. I'm sure one could route the cable in several different configurations and it would work fine... The Honda manual routes the cable between the bars and the # plate, it goes in front of the throttle cable and over the bolt that retains the # plate (not under the cdi). From there it does go down the right side of the frame between the frame and radiator, just below the upper radiator tank. It crosses over the large radiator hose that has the tee in it and goes trough the head stay (not around it). Then through a cable clamp mounted to the upper left reed cage bolt, and down into the case. 

What about the throttle cable??  Above the number plate bolt like the clutch cable, between radiator and frame again??

What about the throttle cable??  Above the number plate bolt like the clutch cable, between radiator and frame again??

Correct- above the number plate bolt, behind the clutch cable, between the radiator and frame above the upper radiator retaining bolt, and outside of the head stay.

• Like 1