Sign in to follow this  

I NEED HELP! 96 YZ250

Hi I recently purchased a 1996 yz250 it needed a new pipe so I ordered one from motosport it was the wrong one because the bike has an after market cylinder on it but I found out that one from a 96 wr250 would mount up correctlyish I got the wr250 pipe on and got the bike running again. the original problem was the bike would act plugged up when you revved it up just like cut out. I road it around for about an hour to see if I could get it blown out with no success. I am really searching for an answer, there really isn't sh*t for info on this bike, at least that I can find. I think the power valve may be sticking shut. the bike will RARELY get into the power band but only for second. I really need help, if anyone knows what the problem could be, speak up! the spark plug is a ngk br8eix that I will be switching to a br8ex, although I haven't yet. I run 91 gas with 32:1 lucas oil premix. I have been researching for over twos weeks to try to figure this out and if I sound desperate its because I am!

there really isn't sh*t for info on this bike, at least that I can find.

the spark plug is a ngk br8eix that I will be switching to a br8ex,

Get yourself a service manual, it has all the "sh*t for info" that you will need.

I believe the correct spark plug for your motor is NGK B8EG or BR8EG

• Like 1

Also don't rule out ignition. 

The problems you describe could be a number of things including a weak spark caused by a bad coil or stator.

BTW, you didn't mention how many hours were on the current top end? What's the compression? 

my money is on the carb main jet clean it and set  the mixture screw out 1.5 turns from closed and then play around with it from there, its a good starting place though.

my money is on the carb main jet clean it and set  the mixture screw out 1.5 turns from closed and then play around with it from there, its a good starting place though.

I'll take that bet! My money is on low compression & a flooded carb.

it has no air/fuel adjustment screw, the choke turn but I don't think it does anything

Are you sure? It most certainly should have an air/fuel screw, or at least an air screw near the backside of the carb. As for the choke, I think it's working. But since your floats are either misadjusted or sticking, the carb is essentially always "choked" so your not noticing much difference when the choke is "on" or "off".

Edited by MANIAC998

Are you sure? It most certainly should have an air/fuel screw, or at least an air screw near the backside of the carb. As for the choke, I think it's working. But since your floats are either misadjusted or sticking, the carb is essentially always "choked" so your not noticing much difference when the choke is "on" or "off".

hey thanks ill look again an there is a difference between choked and no choke so im gonna tear apart the carb tomorrow and clean it and the jets see what jets are in it and switch to the *br8eg thanks everyone for your responses Yamaha two stroke forum is the best forum on this site!

ill keep you guys updated