Good deal or no?

It might cost more to rebuild what you have already but when you are done you know what you have. Anytime you buy an used engine you do not know the history, and that is the gamble you face buying anything that is used. If I where considering a second hand engine I would want to know the compression first off this will tell you a lot about how much life is left if any.

I just bought the bike for 2k and the motor dropped a valve 2 weeks later I have zero idea on how to work on four strokes. The cylinder has a hole in it the head has a chips all in it the top where the valves sit are all gashed. I can't really seeing the point in paying another 2500$ for a whole different bike. I just bought a full dr.d exhaust the day before this one blew up so that would be another 500$ gone if I got another one. I know I could end up in the same situation with this motor Bc I have zero clue of the history or anything but I'm on a budget being 19 and all of this is coming out of my pocket. I'm leaning towards buying one of the motors they are selling

Yz125

Kx250f

You could pick up the whole bike for 2500$ why waste your money?

buying a used 4 stroke in the $2500 price range will put you back in the 2002-2004 bikes, who knows how many hours are on the chassis and what kind of maintenance the previous owner did (if any). Rebuilding the bike you already own for the same money as buying a used bike for is a much, much, better and safer idea.

Many people have recommended rebuilding, as opposed to buying an unknown used motor and I agree.

I just finished 2, 2011 rebuilds, both with broken connecting rods for less than $1600.

This is a service I offer locally and to any one else. 

I have a running add on Craigs list for this service.

The thing is it needs everything the cylinder has a hole in it the cams are shot the head is scared it would be more in parts then it would be to just get the motor. I called them

And talked to the company they take them apart and check all parts and replace any that need repair so I just went ahead and bought it it should be here Thursday so I guess I'll let you know how it goes. I'm on a budget and it's the only logical option I had. It woulda been 1500$ in parts alone then labor woulda put me well over 2k

Yz125

Kx250f

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398983036.298501.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398983047.546766.jpg

Update on the bike got the new motor I ordered in the bike and new exhaust took a long ass time being my first time doing it bike started first kick only thing it needs is to be jetted taking it to the shop tomorrow morning to get the carb cleaned and jetted

Yz125

Kx250f