Sign in to follow this  

DR650 TM40 pumper or FCR MX carb

I've got a 2006 DR650 with K&N, air box top cut away, power bomb head pipe, and FMF Q4. Currently using the stock carb with Dynojet kit.  I've had several DR's in the past all with OUT the head pipe & all running IDS Supertrapp's with the same air box & carb mods; this set up adding the head pipe runs good; but  I'm thinking needs a non EPA carb to take advantage of the increased flow; Can anyone shed any light on the merits of these two options?  Acknowledging the extra set up required for the FCR MX which is the BEST carb for a stock engine that's modified this way?

I mounted a TM40 on both a DR650 and an XR650R, excellent carb. Depending on where and what you buy, the TM is a better carb per dollar spent.

I'm looking to answer a similar question.  I have a 2006 DR650SE that I'm keeping and a 2001 KTM 400 EXC with a FCR39-MX I'm looking to sell.  I was planning on buying a TM40 for the DR, but now I'm thinking I can save the $$$ and just swap the carbs before selling the KTM?  I know I'd have to re-tune both, but I don't think the KTM will bring more than $2,000 with either carb.  Should I attempt this, or try to sell KTM for as much as possible and then get the TM40?  Thanks for any input!!

I'm looking to answer a similar question.  I have a 2006 DR650SE that I'm keeping and a 2001 KTM 400 EXC with a FCR39-MX I'm looking to sell.  I was planning on buying a TM40 for the DR, but now I'm thinking I can save the $$$ and just swap the carbs before selling the KTM?  I know I'd have to re-tune both, but I don't think the KTM will bring more than $2,000 with either carb.  Should I attempt this, or try to sell KTM for as much as possible and then get the TM40?  Thanks for any input!!

I agree with lowercase, don't pull your KTM's carb ~ just sell it "as is". 

Then take the cash and buy a brand new TM40 from ProCycle, it'll come pre-jetted (with cables).  https://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#fuelsystems  all for about $500, then you'll be in tall cotton!