Sign in to follow this  

MRD SSW Baffle + Spark Arrestor vs Open Pipe

So I have been following these forums for a few months and thanks to all of you I have been able to throw on some mods for my '13 DRZ400s. I recently completed the 3x3 mod and JD jetting kit with the 25 pilot and 160 main jets. I installed my MRD SSW exhaust system at the same time. My first impressions with the open exhaust were great, Since I plan on running this thing through ORV parks I decided to throw on the baffle and spark arrestor today. When I went for a ride today my bike felt like it had more bottom end power.

I was curious if any of you have had similar experiences with your MRD setups? I do understand that each bike is different and that a dyno is the only true way to determine if your power gains are real or not. With these mods being the most popular it seems somebody has to have numbers or opinions.

Also, with the baffle and spark arrestor being in, should I take my main jet down to 155 instead of 160? Is it there a large enough difference in flow with the baffle and spark arrestor vs open pipe?

I went back and forth with baffle in/out and honestly couldn't really tell a noticeable noise reduction between the two. Since mine was jetted to be an open pipe, it definitely runs worse with it in (I could at least tell that much).

My advice, pull the baffle and just leave the arrester in. You'll get more

Power and be happier. But buy some ear plugs to be safe.

;)

I suppose I will keep it open until it's ORV day. Then, I will install those pieces. After I searched around the forums more extensively I came across a dyno graph that Craigo put up on the forums showing the MRD with baffle underperforming throughout the whole RPM range.

Current settings:

Blue Needle clip on third position from the top

25 pilot

160 main

99.9% of my riding will be under 3000 feet and between 40 and 80 deg F considering I live in western Washington.

Here is a link to the forum I found with the graph for future forum searchers....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/701067-rode-w-the-quiet-insert-in-the-sswmrd-pipe-for-the-1st-time-this-morning/page-2?hl=+mrd%20+baffle

I need to run to the garage and take that crap out of there now... LOL.

I suppose I will keep it open until it's ORV day. Then, I will install those pieces. After I searched around the forums more extensively I came across a dyno graph that Craigo put up on the forums showing the MRD with baffle underperforming throughout the whole RPM range.

Current settings:

Blue Needle clip on third position from the top

25 pilot

160 main

99.9% of my riding will be under 3000 feet and between 40 and 80 deg F considering I live in western Washington.

Here is a link to the forum I found with the graph for future forum searchers....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/701067-rode-w-the-quiet-insert-in-the-sswmrd-pipe-for-the-1st-time-this-morning/page-2?hl=+mrd%20+baffle

I need to run to the garage and take that crap out of there now... LOL.

As you have the stock mikuni carb you will be ok with the insert....

With open MRD you should have the blue needle on clip 4, that's why it's running ok with the insert now(as you have clip 3 setting, which is leaner)..

If you need to be quieter just install a 155 main jet and you will be good to go...

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

From here on out I will run:

Open MRD

Blue needle clip 4

160 main jet

25 pilot jet

For ORV days ONLY, I will put in my spark arrestor. Baffle will live out its life on the shelf in my garage.

Thank you Craigo!!!

Airbox door removal or drilled accessory side cover is another option with insert and jetting in  post #6

Note...just see how it runs 1st before removing air box door 

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1