GG 300E Race vs Beta 300 RR

Hey guys, just wanting some straight facts/experiences/opinions. Not trying to start any pissing contests. I was going 4 a Beta but made the mistake of swinging a leg over a GG Race last weekend. Now I can't get it out of my mind. I ride about 40% mountain single track, 30% Moab & trails like 5 MOH, and 30% fast open desert. No track (too much of a scardeycat) . Not the fastest guy out there but not the slowest. I guess I'd call me an average B rider but haven't raced, just watched. So what can U tell me about engine characteristics, suspension, etc. Thanks!

Subby

Ride them both and buy the one you feel happiest with. For me it's a combination of looks and performance. Call me stupid but I wouldn't buy the better performing bike if it was bad looking.

I would like to test ride a beta 300RR but I have not found any beta dealers near by.

270+pounds for the Gasser, 230+pounds for the Beta.....

I can't speak for the 012 and newer gas'rs but my 011 with fuel and armour tipped the scale at 250.I also  weighed a fueled  but naked 2013 350 sxf using the same scale  and it came in at just under 240.

Even IF the Beta and GG were completely equal in performance on the trail, the overall fit/finish, build quality, and ownership experience would make the Beta the hands down winner before it even left the garage. There is a reason they are so successful.

Even IF the Beta and GG were completely equal in performance on the trail, the overall fit/finish, build quality, and ownership experience would make the Beta the hands down winner before it even left the garage. There is a reason they are so successful.

+1 and I own a 2011 Gasser.

Beta offers a higher quality product.

Might want to add Sherco to your have a look list also

I've had a 2011 GG 250 six days and a 2012 300R. I had a chance to purchase any new 2014 bike I wanted and chose the Beta 250RR Race. It's an awesome bike and the fit and finish is top notch. I would put it up against any bike out there.  It's a  well thought out bike. The estart is the best design out there and dead engine in gear starts are faster than a kicker.........

It's not too shabby looking either!

betaright.jpeg

betaleft.jpeg

Edited by THUMPERRIDER1
  • Like 1

Don't get fooled by looks, by any brand. Yeah the GG looks good but its not the best plastic design from a functional stanpoint. I couldn't keep a seat cover on my '12 in the wet conditions here, my knee braces would shread the edges where it overlaps the plastic. Look past cosmetics, at the engineering and refinement. The Beta motor is a no brainer with the estart design, low vibes, no clutch issues, easy consistant jetting, and great power. GG is facing an uphill battle to reclaim market share, after various screw ups, again. Ultimately it comes down to riding the bike but its hard not to like the Beta, even for ex hard core GG and KTM guys.

I've had a 2011 GG 250 six days and a 2012 300R. I had a chance to purchase any new 2014 bike I wanted and chose the Beta 250RR Race. It's an awesome bike and the fit and finish is top notch. I would put it up against any bike out there.  It's a  well thought out bike. The estart is the best design out there and dead engine in gear starts are faster than a kicker.........

It's not too shabby looking either!

TR. Whats the chance you or somebody could weigh the bike using the bathroom scale  method under the tires? I've not convinced that there is more than 10 lbs difference.

Edited by widebear

I've got a bunch of ad ons like guards, flexx bars, rekluse, etc. so not sure we would get the true weight for apples to apples comparison. It's lighter than my 2012 gasser was for sure. Honestly I didn't really notice the weight on the gasser when riding and It actually seemed to make it feel pretty planted an stable. What I did notice when I had that bike was the turning radius was not so hot for tight east coast stuff.

Agreed, steering lock was the one thing I could not fix. All you could do is remove the stop bolt locknuts but it wasn't near enough. From the looks of the frame spars near the steering head on the '14, it's probably more of the same.

Two stroke RRs have been weighed and compared before. A few lbs more than a KTM, but more than a few lighter than the GG. Of all the reasons to choose the Beta over the GG, honestly the weight isn't at the top of the list.