Sign in to follow this  

New to group - not new to '00 DRZ400e

have a '00 drz400e that I bought new - served its first 5 years as a hare scramble racer, and has since been an arkansas adventure bike - got a baja designs light kit, fmf powercore, scotts, protapers, etc - i bet i have 15,000 miles on it and have done nothing more than normal routine maintenance (not counting trees that come in contact with radiators, etc) - well, actually the throttle cable KIND OF broke one time - got me home though - have a couple questions -

1) the bike will no longer be a racer - going to be 10% hard trail, 85% dirt road and 5% road - ive run d952s, and other intermediate motorcross knobbies, but they aren't lasting, and I no longer need the traction like that (due to significantly less hardcore trail).  I also have had a GS, and I dont want to ride days on end on dirt/gravel on pins and needles - looking for a dual sportish tire - maybe a trials tire?  Ive read and read and read and have only made myself more confused due to most reviews are people that are 50/50 street/dirt - what I DONT want is a tire that doesnt hook up pretty well on a dirt/gravel road - Id rather spend more money replacing tires and enjoying riding - gimme what you got - I also have no problem running mismatched tires - done it plenty

2) 14 year old bike thats been abused (but well maintained) - all the usual (wheel bearings, chain, sprockets, brakes, fluids) good - did valve adjustment within 500 miles - new throttle cable - anything i need to preventatively replace that are common probs? - also replaced the seal behind the front sprocket - the bikes been rediculously reliable, esp for a racer turned adv bike

I"m petty happy with a trials pattern tire.  I use Maxis IT on the front (not DOT but also not marked off road only). And Shinko trials on the rear.  It is not the soft compound competition trials.  I use Pireiil MT43 and Michelin trials for true dirt bikes but they will not last well enough on the DRZ as an adventure bike.  The trials pattern tread tire  works pretty well as a universal tire.