Sign in to follow this  

how are kx85 is the sand?

Me and my buddy want to go to the dune and i wanted to take my bike. i have been in the sand before but never with my kx85 so is it a bad idea or what can i do to keep it from blowing up like change the sprocket or what.

Me and my buddy want to go to the dune and i wanted to take my bike. i have been in the sand before but never with my kx85 so is it a bad idea or what can i do to keep it from blowing up like change the sprocket or what.

You need to jet it properly Clean the air filter OFTEN. and a lot, and then more often. Use a good air filter oil. You run the risk of getting sand in there.  It gets in there easier than dirt will.  A lot of people run their bikes in the sand.  Just make sure you do proper maintenance.  Sand has a tenancy to get in places you wouldn't think.  Need to wash it well, probably go thru bearings faster. So stay ahead of the game and make sure your seals are good, and grease your joints often.  If i were to run in the sand constantly I would make it a habit, after every few rides at least pull everything apart, clean it completely out, repack with grease and put it back together.  Clean your chain well, and use good quality wax lube.  i'd stay away from the oil stuff, as I wouldn't want any more sand sticking then I can help. 

Steel sprockets, don't use aluminum.  They last longer.  The weight savings is retarded to take into consideration, its not enough to make a difference.  What combo do you run now?  a 13/51 will make it easier for the motor to spin. You won't have as much top speed, you'll need to play with the combos to figure out what works best.  The more paddles on the rear tire the harder it is for the bike to turn it. On a big bike you won't notice much, small bike a lot. Maybe a 5/6 paddle?

KX85 are quick little bikes. I didn't do anything to my CR80.  I took it down to the sand to give it a rip once, and it scooted my ass across the sand at 60 with room to spare. I just had a knobby tire, stock jetting, IDK what sprockets were even on it. Ran amazing..... 

Im sorry just the way you worded that i laughed a lot. But it's likely because of the sustained rpms, just rebuild it and get back at it lol

What oil ratio?

What jetting?

What "blew up"? Detonated to death? Seized? Spit a rod?