Sign in to follow this  

2011 kx250f SFF clicking on left fork

So I did some searching and a few members have said the left fork making a clicking sound is normal. Has this information changed? If something isnt right I would like to take it apart and fix it. It didnt make this noise when it was new. Thanks in advance.

This thread is saying its normal   http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/877083-whos-been-inside-the-sff/?hl=%2Bsff+%2Bclicking#entry9128990

Had my 2011 for 2.5 years. Never heard no clicking

some times loose fitting brake pads will fool you into thinking your forks are clicking.

• Like 1

some times loose fitting brake pads will fool you into thinking your forks are clicking.

I tried pushing up and down with and without using the front brake. Same noise. The noise sounds like turning your bars back and forth and hitting the stop. I am going to pull the forks apart and try pushing each shock individually.  Thank you for your response. 

Edited by Taco13

Not sure if its supposed to but I feel like mine always have. Always thought mine was coming from the right one though. If I didn't have my money going towards other things right now Id get rid of my kawi and get something else with the SFF being a big reason why.

I've also noticed a rattle noise when I turn the front end and it hits the stops but I can't really pin point it. This is on a 2014 model with about 20 minutes ride time too. I guess I'll have to look into it a little better and see if I can pin point it.  

My Front brake line will sometimes rub on the upper guide ring (mounted on left side lower fork clamp ) and and it sounds like it's coming from inside the fork .

May want to check that. ... Haven't had any clicking though .

Edited by old_tri

Not sure if its supposed to but I feel like mine always have. Always thought mine was coming from the right one though. If I didn't have my money going towards other things right now Id get rid of my kawi and get something else with the SFF being a big reason why.

I personally like the SFF fork. Better then my 07' anyway and cheaper to spring it

Thanks for the feedback guys. I removed the front wheel and pushed on the left fork by itself. It makes a click right before it goes back down. Does anyone else currently have this issue or had this issue? I dont want to pull the shock apart unless I have to. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I removed the front wheel and pushed on the left fork by itself. It makes a click right before it goes back down. Does anyone else currently have this issue or had this issue? I dont want to pull the shock apart unless I have to. Thanks.

Just talking to my son about the issue you are having.  He suggested making a video so we could potentially hear what you are talking about.  We just listened carefully to ours (2011 SFF).  There is a noticeable sound that comes from the left fork, probably from the base valve assembly, but it is nothing we had ever paid attention to.  Noise in the right fork is another story.  If you hear a scraping sound there it may mean the spring is in upside down.  One side is bigger than the other, and the bigger side goes down.  Didn't pay attention to that little detail first time around!  Anyway, the noise you hear, if it is the same one we just heard, is probably the valves in the left fork working as they should.  If you want to definitively rule that out, post a vid with sound and we will listen to it.  If you are still really concerned, I can call a guy who does lots and lots of these forks to ask him.

Just talking to my son about the issue you are having.  He suggested making a video so we could potentially hear what you are talking about.  We just listened carefully to ours (2011 SFF).  There is a noticeable sound that comes from the left fork, probably from the base valve assembly, but it is nothing we had ever paid attention to.  Noise in the right fork is another story.  If you hear a scraping sound there it may mean the spring is in upside down.  One side is bigger than the other, and the bigger side goes down.  Didn't pay attention to that little detail first time around!  Anyway, the noise you hear, if it is the same one we just heard, is probably the valves in the left fork working as they should.  If you want to definitively rule that out, post a vid with sound and we will listen to it.  If you are still really concerned, I can call a guy who does lots and lots of these forks to ask him.

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to reply. Its def from the base valve at the top of the left fork. I  had the fork out and the noise is there. I bottomed out both the preload and compression adjusters to make sure they have not disconnected from the inside parts and they are working as they should. The forks seem fine out in the dirt.  The right fork is quiet. 

Here is the video http://youtu.be/1ctlYWUBfhk

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to reply. Its def from the base valve at the top of the left fork. I  had the fork out and the noise is there. I bottomed out both the preload and compression adjusters to make sure they have not disconnected from the inside parts and they are working as they should. The forks seem fine out in the dirt.  The right fork is quiet. 

Here is the video http://youtu.be/1ctlYWUBfhk

That is a much louder version of what we heard.  It sounds kind of hollow. I would pull the left fork base valve assembly off and make sure the oil level is correct and the o-rings are all there.  Should be easy and inexpensive.  Do you have a manual that shows you what it is supposed to look like?  

That is a much louder version of what we heard.  It sounds kind of hollow. I would pull the left fork base valve assembly off and make sure the oil level is correct and the o-rings are all there.  Should be easy and inexpensive.  Do you have a manual that shows you what it is supposed to look like?  

Yes I have the shop manual saved on my pc. I am going to order a few tools I seen in the rocky mountain video and break the left fork down and change the oil and oil seal/dust seal. Hopefully I do not find anything else going on inside there.  Thank you for all the info. 

• Like 1