Sign in to follow this  

Knee pain

Dr. Mark, 

I am really hoping that you can shed some light on my condition. I am a 44 yr old Enduro B rider, I have raced every other weekend for the past 10 years until recently. I have developed pain in my right knee, it feels like a nail is being stuck through it when I climb stairs or otherwise get it anywhere close to fully bent. I have never torn anything or been diagnosed with any of the typical knee injuries, it just freaking hurts (concentrated on the front side).

I went to an Orthopoedic Dr. who took Xrays and said my knee was fine, no signs of injury or other issues, maybe some slight arthritis. He gave me some arthritis pills which helped some at first but they seem to be just a bandaid for something mechanical that needs to be addressed. 

I believe this problem became aggravated when I switched bikes to one that has a relatively close footpeg to seat distance (its a GG, and I'm 6;2").  I have since changed the footpegs to Fastway lowboys but have only had one race on them. It has been about 2 months since my last ride and the pain has not gone away much at all. 

One thing that may be related is the fact that I have a fairly sedentary work life, suit and tie stuff with lots of driving and very little exercise punctuated periodically with a brutal enduro. I place well at the races and don't get overly tired but I have the feeling that I punish a body that is not really acclimated to such abuse without the required conditioning. 

If you have any ideas where to start with this problem I would very much appreciate it. 

Arthritis of the knee is painful an disabling.  Antiinflamatory and non narcotic pain medications are reasonable first line treatments but are not always successful. 

There are are treatments that are designed for the young athletic person with knee arthritis that can allow them to nearly painlessly resume their desired lifestyle.  Not every doctor is familiar with them.  If you are in Texas, you should visit me for the day.  Most people think it was worth the trip.