Sign in to follow this  

2 vs 4 stroke

Yes, I know this may be off topic, and if the admin guys want to delete or move I understand.

BUT, this is probably the best article showing the diff between the 2 techs.

Take a look or not, just found it very interesting, considering I cut my teeth in the So Cal heyday of racing everywhere. Now all houses!

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/two-stroke-versus-four-stroke-2012-ktm-250sxf-vs-2012-ktm-250sx

MXA is and always has been a great mag!

Hope u find this interesting

• Like 1

I come from the land of 2 strokes .... my old 1981 RM250 had twice the acceleration of my CRF250L even with the 305 and FMF etc .........  If my memory serves me correct I think it had over 36 HP maybe even 46 ... :excuseme:  and it was pretty much on or off .... there was no lugging or putting around allowed. But, my CRF is a fricken tractor in comparison  ...  :thumbsup:

I think a 4 stoke makes for a better woods/single track bike just for the fact that just a little twist of the throttle at any rpm will pull you up hills etc .... I also feel that a 4 stroke is a better dual sport machine as well and behaves much better on the street. But when it come to running WOT .... the 2  stroke wins hands down and a 4 stroke 150 race bike has a hard time hanging with a 85cc 2 stroke just as a 2 stroke CR250R can hang with a CRF450R on the track.

I will also say I do believe the 2 strokes have came a long ways in the past 30 years and from the videos I have seen .... they seem to do very well in the woods. 

I think for us more casual guys ... the 4 stroke is a better choice ... if you are a crazy hard core extreme Mo'Fo ... the 2 stroke will serve you well ....  :prof:

I can tell you that when I watch the 2 strokes on youtube .... I can honestly smell them ....  :lol:  man do I miss that smell in the mornings .... good times gone by 

• Like 5

We called them "stinkers" when i was desert raceing in the 70's--mostly cause they were faster than we were i think???Fun times tho!!

• Like 2

Good read! I love my torque monster :) (CR500)

My favorite all time dirt machine I ever owned was a 1981 IT175 .... that thing was light and very quick and I could go thru or over about anything in my path ... I know ... I'm an old guy ...  :p

207 lbs with a 2.9 gal tank ...  :thumbsup:

In a way .... I think I am trying to recreate those good times with my CRF250L to share with my boy ... But, in an old mans version ...  :facepalm:

it175ghq2.jpg

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 4

250L David Bailey replica?  :D  :wub:

Well ...... every mod I have done has been with the complete disregard to the street ....  :p  (other than a Corbin seat)

anaheim86original001.jpg?w=614

• Like 3

A 2 stroke like this will pull like a 4 stroke with a hit.  Has a power curve like a 305...  plus some. 

post-297194-0-20442600-1398395943.jpg

KDX 200 Hybrid.JPG

• Like 5

I think it was this picture right here that motivated me to build the bike I am trying to build .....  

If I can hang on ... I think my CRF305X can hang with your KDX ....  :p

Honda_CRF250L_2012_st2pz.jpg

• Like 3

Good read! I love my torque monster :) (CR500)

its gone now, but there was a street legal cr500 for sale on craigslist by me...  i called cause i just wanted to go check it out, but it was gone the day it was posted...    quite the bike you have there...

my only dirt bike which i had for many years was a 1985 cr250...  that was my raped ape..  what i lacked in knowledge that bike made up for in grunt...  when in doubt, gas it out...  that bike would pull me over things and through stuff that was simply incredible... pure adrenaline...  i could never ride like that again, but man would i love a 2stroke street legal bike to play around with... it was my dream with the cr250 i had... to ring-a-ping-ping down the block while waving at the neighbor.... lol  

• Like 2

I think it was this picture right here that motivated me to build the bike I am trying to build .....  

If I can hang on ... I think my CRF305X can hang with your KDX ....  :p

Honda_CRF250L_2012_st2pz.jpg

Sounds like a challenge, lets take it to the woods.  :ride:

• Like 2

Old school 2 stokes, hit that pipe and hold on. My 2 stroke YZ490 rapes modern 4 stroke 450's in acceleration, turning not so much. Beat them to the corner...putter around corner, pass and beat then to next corner, repeat. Have not got the 490 into 4th yet on track, seldom even in 3rd, high 2nd is a true adventure, sitting on tank to keep front down, trying to keep traction with that big 140/80 on rear digging trenches and bombarding those behind me.

• Like 5

Old school 2 stokes, hit that pipe and hold on. My 2 stroke YZ490 rapes modern 4 stroke 450's in acceleration, turning not so much. Beat them to the corner...putter around corner, pass and beat then to next corner, repeat. Have not got the 490 into 4th yet on track, seldom even in 3rd, high 2nd is a true adventure, sitting on tank to keep front down, trying to keep traction with that big 140/80 on rear digging trenches and bombarding those behind me.

My 500 occasionally sees third, and has only seen 4th once (on the track). The gate drops with a 140/80 M5B just aren't fair  :lol:  :lol:  Though turning is less than ideal

• Like 1

My favorite all time dirt machine I ever owned was a 1981 IT175 .... that thing was light and very quick and I could go thru or over about anything in my path ... I know ... I'm an old guy ...  :p

207 lbs with a 2.9 gal tank ...  :thumbsup:

In a way .... I think I am trying to recreate those good times with my CRF250L to share with my boy ... But, in an old mans version ...  :facepalm:

it175ghq2.jpg

When the It's came out, they really changed the complexion of dual purpose!!! great bikes!

• Like 2

When the It's came out, they really changed the complexion of dual purpose!!! great bikes!

Yes they did .... they were kind of a KTM of their time ....  :goofy: but, actually the IT's were not a "Dual Purpose" bike ... they were a off road only competition Enduro bike. 

and maybe that is what KTM is currently modeling their Dual Purpose/Enduros after ....  :lol:

Edited by gnath9

My CRF is the first 'big' thumper I've owned. I have a Ruckus, CRF150f, and some old honda minibikes, but I've definitely put the most seat time on my 144SX. my CRF is a joke compared to my KTM. it has about half the hp. I LOVE my 2 stroke. they are better and that is a fact not an opinion. hah! I have caught myself, while heavily accelerating thru the gears on my 250L, feathering the clutch lol ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398484232.631483.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398484117.315619.jpg

• Like 5