Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR426

Hey guys this is my first post on TT but ive been trolling around this forum for a while now getting a ton of good information. Im looking at getting into the dirt world from street and am looking for my first bike. Talking with some people i know and getting advice from their experience, im def leaning towards a thumper since all I will be doing is trail/desert riding and will never see the MX track in my future. Im thinking of looking at this WR426F tomorrow but wanted someones opinion with some more experience. I know a WR426 is probably big for my first real dirt bike (i have ridden some in the past and am quite proficent on street) but in dont want to be bored in 2 months on a CRF230 or similar. any input or thoughts are very much appreciated.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4438038436.html

Hahah....I always love it when they say "firm on price". :lol: ....especially on a 13yr old bike!  I'm sure you could get out of there with that bike for $1500 or less.

You'll be fine on that bike. 

The 426 is a pretty crazy choice for a first bike, they are snappier than most current 450s. Street experience doesn't cross over well either, completely different techniques. That said, any bike is better than nothing.

Thanks for the replies. If he won't budge on price, should I look elsewhere for the money?

Yeah. 2001 is ancient for 4 strokes hell, that's one of the first 4 stroke race orentited bikes ever. They're miles behind what we have today and that's a lot of wear and tear on the motor as well.

Agreed. I wouldn't spend more than $1K on that bike, they are out there for that. A bad deal all around. 

That thing is more likely than none, a ticking time bomb with it being that old. That and i think that thing is ugly. I would look elsewhere and try to avoid bikes that are that old.