Sign in to follow this  

Another FRIED STATOR......Look what I found in there!

20140422_180527.jpgI have a 2001 DRZ 400S. Ricky Stator was installed 540 miles ago. Started using Silkolene 10W- 40 Oil in the bike at that time to help prolong its life. Odometer is 21,080. Last weekend I was out having a ride, and she started cutting out. I limped it back home, and once again, dead short 1.1Ohms from all 3 wires Y1, Y2, and Y3 to ground. Drained oil, pulled the Stator out to examine, and found that round chunk of metal in between two of  the "Fingers" of the Stator. What the heck could cause this?  Waiting on my replacement stator to arrive.

20140422_180654.jpg

Edited by codyeric2001

That Chunk of metal came from in between the two shredded pieces in the picture, I put it on top for size comparison.

Edited by codyeric2001

Did hunk of "stuff" that damaged the stator  come from the stator?  Or someplace else?

If its not from the stator (as in the stator came apart) why is it a warranty issue?

Debris from non stator source damaging the stator can not be the fault of the manufacturer.. 

I would look for more debris.  If that little chunk of stuff is alloy (as in aluminum alloy), I can't see it doing the damage to the stator that I see in the picture.  Something else did the damage to the laminations.

The hunk of metal pictured was found sitting in between those two pieces on the stator. I was able to just pick it outof there. It must be from the stator, but what would cause that? No other traces of debris were found anywhere else in the flywheel or case?

sure thatnot a allen bolt

mine worked loose and came out and shreaded my staor the same as that

Clearly something got in there and destroyed the stator, there is nothing from the stator that would cause that damage.

@mbish....All bolts and harware are accounted for. I did blue loctite on the last stator change. Everything seemed nice and secure when removing.

@Ricky Stator...... After your review of the stator, I respect your analysis, and agree that SOMETHING did damage to the stator. I stand behind your products, and have had nothing but great customer service in my past dealings.

My dilemma now is do I put a cheap stator in there, and revert back to rotella (cheaper) oil? Try to re-create the problem? Run it for a while, drain the oil, and change filter to try and find any other debris?

Or do I buy another Ricky stator, run the Silkoline, and hope that was the only gremlin in there?

Can I run the bike without a stator in there temporarily off of battery around the block, then drain the oil to see if anything comes out?

Any expert advise would be appreciated. I just wanna get back on the road ASAP.

Will not run without a stator.  Charge from the stator is not needed but the coils that feed information the the CDI are needed.  If you knew what to do you could remove all  the charging coils but there is 1 internal coil and the external coil needed to fire the ignition.

If that mashed up part is actually aluminum (test it with a magnet) and it did not come from the stator (I agree with Ricky stator, I don't think it did), it came from some place. And if it is aluminum, I do not believe it did the damage seen to the laminations.  Something else is going on.

• Like 1

Have you tried running it with the piece removed?  You can see the problem from the bare wires.  If you can keep them from touching anything it may run.

Looks more like some kind of solder to me

Maybe, but where would it have come from... No solder or soldered connections that I know of in the engine.  My first thought was a sheared bolt head (round socket head).

Can you confirm if it is steel or aluminum?  Steel would be magnetic.

Last week when I took the pictures of the stator and piece of metal, I laid it on my shelf in the garage, and have not been able to find that darn thing ever since??? I looked everywhere? Unfortunately I do not know for sure if it was steel or aluminum. It was definately not solder. When I originally took the Stator out, I found that piece of metal sitting between the laminations shown in the picture, on top of the coils. It was stuck in there, but was not hard to pull out with my fingers. Was not an allen bolt head, for all the bolts are accounted for? I will keep searching my garage.