CA RIDERS!? Green/Red Sticker? Getting around it ideas? Yes No?

so heres the deal i just moved to cali from the east coast. sold my 07rmz and picked up an 05crf450 when i got here. I had no idea about the green red sticker crap! I was wondering if there is anyway around the it? I have a red sticker 05crf450 and Carnegie is the closest place to ride for me but red sticker runs out this weekend so i have no idea where else i can ride? I was wondering if anybody has tried anything i noticed they dont check your bike very well at the park and had some ideas around the red sticker..... buy an 02 frame and register that title and put the green sticker on my 05 and reweld the vin number? Or something like this? Just an idea... not trying to go to jail or anything but was just curious if anybody has had a similar situation. I moved from VA and they dont have any green red sticker junk! Buy your bike and go ride!!! Its just frustrating because im not about to downgrade to an 02 model just for some stupid sticker when i have enough money in my 05 and why would i want to go to a lower model!!!! You would think the emissions on the older bikes would be worse than the new ones with advances in technology and such.... just my 2 cents! SUCKS!!!! thanks alot!

Should have kept your VA DL and bike and got a non-resident sticker...then red sticker season would not apply to your bike.

Curious about the rules here. I also just moved to southern california from the east coast (michigan).

I shipped out my 01 cr125, is it old enough to be green sticker year round? I plan on hangin on to my MI DL as long as possible, if my bike is a red sticker i'd ilike to get a non-resident sticker ASAP.

Thx.

Curious about the rules here. I also just moved to southern california from the east coast (michigan).

I shipped out my 01 cr125, is it old enough to be green sticker year round? I plan on hangin on to my MI DL as long as possible, if my bike is a red sticker i'd ilike to get a non-resident sticker ASAP.

Thx.

green sticker

• Like 1

Thx.

The 2001 CR125 was a green sticker bike.  The red sticker didn't start until the 2002 model year.

I ride Carniege all the time and yes they will check and know what to look for. Also if you make it thru the gate the roving rangers might pull you over for a check. Easiest is to keep your bike and pick up an 02 or older as well. Soon itll be so hot ya wont wana ride anyway, but there are a couple monthe on either end of the sticker times when ya do. One nice thing is the place gets much less crowded.

Is it me or we getting a lot more if these threads lately. The OP comes in and asks a "getting around our CA BS type of question", gets a bunch of non answers because we suspect a govt troll then goes away never to be heard of again

• Like 3

Is it me or we getting a lot more if these threads lately. The OP comes in and asks a "getting around our CA BS type of question", gets a bunch of non answers because we suspect a govt troll then goes away never to be heard of again

Ya there has been more recently. Another way for CA to try and &%$#@! us.

Few things:

1) if you must have a bike to ride year around, should have bought the X and put all the R stuff on it.

2) if the bike is not in the ca system and your pilot license is still out of state, the out of state sticker can be used.

3) sell the bike you bought and get a bike with a green sticker designation. Doable with many models to choose from.

is this because of the plate? would they care if you didnt have lights on a plated bike if you're not on the road with it? 

You cant get a plate for any CRF250 or 450X in CA.  It is green sticker only.  Dont get me started on trying to plate a dirt bike lol.

You cant get a plate for any CRF250 or 450X in CA.  It is green sticker only.  Dont get me started on trying to plate a dirt bike lol.

my yz125 is plated. but i dont have lights on it. i just wanna know if i could get away with putting the plate on it and riding around OHV areas without a headlight. I could just tell them i took it off so it doesnt get ruined when im off road and put it in my truck to take it there...

my yz125 is plated. but i dont have lights on it. i just wanna know if i could get away with putting the plate on it and riding around OHV areas without a headlight. I could just tell them i took it off so it doesnt get ruined when im off road and put it in my truck to take it there...

Technically no you can't ride it around with out a light if it's plated. It needs to have all necessary equipment that a plate requires. The only thing you could get away with would be non DOT tires. Plated guys correct me if I missed something
  • Like 1

Technically no you can't ride it around with out a light if it's plated. It needs to have all necessary equipment that a plate requires. The only thing you could get away with would be non DOT tires. Plated guys correct me if I missed something

A lighting kit is super expensive. It's like $800+. I guess it's back to that idea...