Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Off road riding near Crested Butte, CO.

Hey guys and gals, so I plan on going back to Crested Butte at the end of May this year and was hoping of bringing my dirt bike to ride. For you CO locals, is late May late enough in the year to have decent riding conditions without getting stuck in melting snow? And I was hoping to rent some ATV's for family to ride the trails with me. If anyone can recommend an ATV rental center and/or a place we can ride it would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Since no one else closer to CB is replying, I guess I will.  I just sold a snowmobile to a guy from CB last week and we talked for quite a while.  He was telling me what an "epic" winter they had this last year.  I know from checking CAIC that they got quite a bit of snow up there this last year, more than they normally get.  There's a lot of riding up in that area.  Do a search for Taylor Park and you'll get a ton of info.

As far as the snow being melted off in May this year, I honestly don't know but I'd doubt it.  The central and northern part of CO had a good snow year this past winter.  When we've had that type of snow here in SW CO it usually isn't gone until mid June-up high that is. 
Don't know anything about ATV rentals in that part of the state.  Should be something in Gunnison I would think. 

Thanks for the reply. I went snowboarding and snowmobiling at crested butte in January and there was tons of snow! I didn't know how late it lasted though. I found a rental atv center near gunnison so I will call them soon and get their opinion. Thanks agaiN.

So I called ColoradoATVRentals and they informed me that in late May there will be snow on all of the higher trails in Taylor Park but several lower elevation trails are dry and cleared for riding and that they will be renting ATV's memorial day week. Sounds like I'll be taking my bike  :ride:

taylor park is sick, just about everything you could possibly want for riding terrain covering all skill levels. check you tube for vids to get an idea of the terrain in the area. definitely worth the trip, as for snow it all depends. we still get some big spring snows so it varies from day to day

Great time riding around crested butte and taylor park was a lot of fun.

How was the snow up high? What trails did you ride in TP?

How was the snow up high? What trails did you ride in TP?

Snow levels were present above 10,500ft ish and especially in shaded areas that didn't get alot of sun. I had no idea of the trail names, I just rode around and found my way back the whole day. I made it up to Mirror Lake which is at 11,000ft but it really took some sketchy snow riding as there was snow everywhere up there. 

I have never been up there (Mirror Lake). I am assuming you went in / up from the south end of the res and never made it to the north end of the valley. Mostly rode forest service roads to get up there?

. I got there from a small town called Tin Cup. Mainly forest service roads up there past the town leading up to another camping ground but they get covered with snow starting about 3/4 of the way up. Making it on a bike the rest of the way up requires you finding your own path  :ride:

Edited by johnrunner89

Yeah, figgured you went in from Tin Cup.