Video editing software, what is best? what do you use?

I reccomend Corel VideoStudio.  I've been using it since it was ULead before Corel bought them so a very long time, around 10 years even before youtube I was using it to make DVDs.  Out of all the ones I've tried either I'm just used to it or IMHO, it has the easiest UI out of all of them.  Very simple to use, very easy to overlay tracks, add effects, text music or sound effects, etc.  slow motion, reverse video, etc. 

Supports HD, etc.

You can see my vids of it, my older vids I did a lot more effects/editing though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tobyeo

There is Sony Vegas Movie Studio Hd Platinum, or pro(more expensive)

then there is adobe premier. premier would be better in a editor sense, if you plan on doing more advance stuff, premier would be better because you can sync it with adobe after effects, and do some really awesome stuff. but after effects is not for editing, just adding to a single clip.

• Like 1

I reccomend Corel VideoStudio. I've been using it since it was ULead before Corel bought them so a very long time, around 10 years even before youtube I was using it to make DVDs. Out of all the ones I've tried either I'm just used to it or IMHO, it has the easiest UI out of all of them. Very simple to use, very easy to overlay tracks, add effects, text music or sound effects, etc. slow motion, reverse video, etc.

Supports HD, etc.

You can see my vids of it, my older vids I did a lot more effects/editing though.

I also use Corel, works pretty damn good

I reccomend Corel VideoStudio.  I've been using it since it was ULead before Corel bought them so a very long time, around 10 years even before youtube I was using it to make DVDs.  Out of all the ones I've tried either I'm just used to it or IMHO, it has the easiest UI out of all of them.  Very simple to use, very easy to overlay tracks, add effects, text music or sound effects, etc.  slow motion, reverse video, etc. 

Supports HD, etc.

I usually cut up my clips with go pro editor, then edit them in Windows movie maker, would I still want to do that with Corel?

I usually cut up my clips with go pro editor, then edit them in Windows movie maker, would I still want to do that with Corel?

You can if you want but I do it all with corel, it's easy, you just drop in the video into the movie pane, then you just click the end and drag the mouse to the start.  Click the other end and drag the flim to the end size you want.  You can then drop another video before or after it or you can drop it over top in an overlay track.  You can then select a transition like fade or something  and drop it between the 2 tracks.

Not my picture but below you can see that.  There's 3 video clips on the main track, you can click either one and resize them. The next row is overlay tracks, below that are text tracks below that are sound tracks.  You just drag and drop what you want, and resize by clicking and holding the mouse and dragging the edges of the video or text or whatever.  It's very easy to use.  The image below is trying to show how to do green screen with an overlay track on top of the regular track looks like, not something I do, but just shows how easy it is to use for anything. 

253831-corel-videostudio-pro-x4-chroma-k

Edited by maico760

I HAVE A SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 AND TAKE VIDEO OF MY SONS MOTOCROSS RACES.  WHEN I GET HOME I UPLOAD OVER WIFI TO YOU TUBE.  THEN YOU TUBE HAS A FREE VIDEO EDITOR.  IT TAKES SOME TIME TO LEARN BUT IT IS GREAT.  I LOVE GOOGLE AND ALL THERE FREE SERVICES.

I HAVE A SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 AND TAKE VIDEO OF MY SONS MOTOCROSS RACES. WHEN I GET HOME I UPLOAD OVER WIFI TO YOU TUBE. THEN YOU TUBE HAS A FREE VIDEO EDITOR. IT TAKES SOME TIME TO LEARN BUT IT IS GREAT. I LOVE GOOGLE AND ALL THERE FREE SERVICES.

Where is this race at? Just wondering because I saw the glory hog hummer, and its a nice looking track...

Editing software is just a tool, a good filmmaker will tell a story without much editing at all. ?

Can't tell if sarcasm or serious... Yeah it takes someone who knows how to film such as angles, lighting, and how to piece vids together.

But you need software for transitions, titles, splitting and trimming, slow-mo, and so on.

I'm currently looking for a decent editor on a budget price because I am not happy with windows movie maker quality.

Here is a video I posted, and you can see where it glitches a little bit.

Can't tell if sarcasm or serious... Yeah it takes someone who knows how to film such as angles, lighting, and how to piece vids together.

But you need software for transitions, titles, splitting and trimming, slow-mo, and so on.

First thing they teach you in film school is to shoot without an editor. Learn how to organize your thoughts without the necessity of any post production. I learned how to edit on film, where all you can do is make cuts in the film and splice another bit to the end.

Effects, crazy transitions and slow-mo are just tools you use when don't have any useful content.

There are many tools, I happen to use three tools every single time I make a video. One tool to edit (FCP 7 or AVID) one tool to do the color correction (Apple's Color or DaVinci) and one tool to deal with the multiple compression formats for distribution and archiving. Audio I do inside my editor as its not as hypercritical as picture and compression quality. Last thing you want is a video that looks like shit when uploaded to youtube! ?

• Like 1

First thing they teach you in film school is to shoot without an editor. Learn how to organize your thoughts without the necessity of any post production. I learned how to edit on film, where all you can do is make cuts in the film and splice another bit to the end.

Effects, crazy transitions and slow-mo are just tools you use when don't have any useful content.

There are many tools, I happen to use three tools every single time I make a video. One tool to edit (FCP 7 or AVID) one tool to do the color correction (Apple's Color or DaVinci) and one tool to deal with the multiple compression formats for distribution and archiving. Audio I do inside my editor as its not as hypercritical as picture and compression quality. Last thing you want is a video that looks like shit when uploaded to youtube! ?

I understand, I also know I have a long way to go with my videos. I was just saying some videos do better with slow-mo, and transitions, like short montage videos, and intros.

I understand, I also know I have a long way to go with my videos. I was just saying some videos do better with slow-mo, and transitions, like short montage videos, and intros.

Yep, and today there is software which will do all that for you! Click on a button, throw some video in and it jumbles it all up and spits out a video with a toaster oven "ding" sound when finished! ?

I for one enjoy the art, rather then just something to get the job done. :D

Yep, and today there is software which will do all that for you! Click on a button, throw some video in and it jumbles it all up and spits out a video with a toaster oven "ding" sound when finished! ?

I for one enjoy the art, rather then just something to get the job done. :D

The funny, and interesting thing for me, I had to learn how to make boring videos, look fun, and have a story. With the lack of good cameras, and many more. I had too much of a passion not to do anything, so I was taking videos, shot by somebody else, and edited them together, since I had know how they didn't.

The funny, and interesting thing for me, I had to learn how to make boring videos, look fun, and have a story. With the lack of good cameras, and many more. I had too much of a passion not to do anything, so I was taking videos, shot by somebody else, and edited them together, since I had know how they didn't.

LOL! Yea, there are a hell of a lot of bad video's on youtube, as in 90%! I can't rip shit from other people, its not fair. But I get your point! ?