Sign in to follow this  

Confessions of a Scrounger

Ok here's the story...I'm driving down my street about a month ago out of the corner of my eye I saw what appeared to be a motorcycle in a junk pile by the curb in front of someones house. The city has a day once a quarter where folks can pile up unwanted crap and the city will send trucks and haul it to the landfill. After I got home I stealthily walked down the street to investigate, and sure enough it was a motorcycle! leaning up against a broken down bookshelf with an old vacuum cleaner perched against it...it really looked like it belonged there. I thought really hard abought whether I should scrounge it, because I really can't stand clutter, and I already have 5 motorcycles...... but it did have the little horizontal Honda clone engine on it and my daughter rides an XR70R.  I thought I might be able to snag a few parts off of it or at least the engine and then send it to its misery at a scrap metal yard.

Although the tires were flat it did roll...so as quietly as I could I rolled it down the street in the darkness and into my back yard hoping the whole time the clunking of the tires as they rolled past the flat spots wouldnt alarm any of the neighbors and expose me for what I really was.. a dirty rotten scrounger!!! The only thing worse....a dumpster diver.....ohhh the humanity!!!

I really felt guilty for a few days and just left it out on the back porch pretending it didnt exist, not wanting to face the reality and shame of what I had done. After about a week, the feelings of remorse started to subside and I got the nerve up to face my newfound...thing?? project??? whatever it was...it was out there and I had to deal with it.

It really looked pathetic, no seat, tank, footpegs exhaust or fenders and the throttle housing was all busted up but the cable itself moved.  The engine was full of stale smelling oil and it didnt appear to be leaking any of it.  The engine turned over nicely whenever I could get it nuetral....I had a hell of a time finding nuetral. I discovered later I had just managed to get it in between gears not really nuetral...I kicked around on that stupid shift lever a thousand times trying to find nuetral....who knew the goofy thing had a top nuetral 4 down shift pattern. That explained why it has the upshift lever on the back. On the other side it has a brake lever that must have been copied off of an old Goldwing or something it is freaking HUGE!!

It looked like all the mechanical stuff was pretty much intact, albeit there were random bolts missing here and there...think at some point someone tried to "fix" it and had no clue where to start...so they did what any good mechanic would do...just start removing random bolts..who knows might help...The shock seals looked good and werent leaky, the rear shock was awfully springy with no dampening whatsoever, and the welding on the frame...well lets just say the chineese dude that did this one up hopefully was the "new guy".  Both brakes were functional and the sprockets and chain were intact with virtually no visible wear. The tires even held air and had descent tread.

After a little inspection, I went a grabbed an empty water bottle out of the trash (trash troving is accepted behavior in my book as long as it is in your own kitchen or garage). I poked a hole in the lid and filled it up with 93 octane...very rudimentary fuel injection system.  I injected some fuel into the airbox sorta put it in "nuetral" and the little bugger fired on the third kick.. a few more fuel injections and a few more kicks...in between long bouts of trying to find "nuetral" the darn thing actually ran... and no weird clunking or rattling. Im sure you know what had to be done next.

I abandoned the fuel injection system and opted to clean the carburator and go back to the stock configuration. I would also need a fuel tank as the injection system I devised served as both fuel storage and delivery.  The bike appears to be very loosely based on my XR70 so I got on Ebay and ordered a clone CRF70 tank and petcock for around 35 bucks.

My original idea after I discovered that it ran pretty good was to make it safe to ride at the least expense...using stuff I had laying around old fenders etc. and go with a Sanford and Sons kinda theme.  I put the tank on figured out the transmission shift pattern strapped an old xr200r seat foam down to the frame with bungees, disconnnected the faulty kill switch (which I surmised was the reason the bike was "broken") jury rigged the throttle cable with some old parts (really bad idea), borrowed the exhaust from my xr70, did a little tuning and took off down the street.

The little bike ran great, plenty of power and despite the springy rear end it handled pretty good...made me feel like I was riding an Ultra Glide coming to a stop and easing down on that giant rear brake lever!!

The more I fiddled with it the more I liked it, and the more I thought it would be worth biting the bullet and splurging for a quart of fresh oil and a new throttle housing...ok maybe just the oil, the throttle thing can wait it sorta works ok (another bad idea). I continued to tinker and fiddle with it and ordered a new cheapo pipe setup for it rejetted the carb, the thing just kept getting more fun and running better and better. One day after building a safe and sturdy seat for it out of the old xr200 foam, some plywood and some scrap red vinyl,  I took her for a street ride to test out the configuration, it was running really strong and I was beating on it a little...popping wheelies and such...going full out dropped into second gear and the front wheel really launched up high on me a little unexpectedly, as I jammed the throttle down it over rotated past the stop and went wide open the front end went right over the top. Strawberrys on both knees and an elbow along with a bruised hand...hurt ego and a a couple of lesson learned. (1) If its got two wheels and a motor respect the fact it can hurt you, even if it has a dinky 73cc motor and its made in China. (2) Dont ride a bike with a jury rigged throttle.

I promptly ordered complete new throttle tube, housing and cable!

The little bike has been a lot of fun and has provided quite a few hours of tinkering pleasure, like I said the more I mess with it the more it seemed to make sense to spend a few bucks on it fixing it up. I went ahead and ordered some new crf70 plastics and seat (clone stuff) and currently have about 150.00 invested in parts. The only thing I havent done yet is to replace the 14" rear wheel with a 12", there is just not any acceptable rear tires avaliable that will fit this bike on the 14" rim. Ive got one ordered.

Does anyone know what kind of bike this is or have one like it? I have searched the internet and havent really seen anything that matches exactly. It has a 73cc Honda clone motor and its made in China is about all I know. It does havew a serial number on the frame, but I couldnt find anything by searching that either.  Here are some pictures of the bike the one was taken right after I parked it on my back porch that fateful night.

WP_20140409_002.jpgWP_20140423_002.jpg

WP_20140325_005.jpg

WP_20140402_001.jpg

Dude that is so awesome bro, good job on the bike and continue to have fun with it....true man made right there !!!

Wow, it actually came out great looking!

Nice work!

I was picturing a ghetto bike with a huge duct taped seat, spray painted plastics, and an ugly looking bike in general, but it was the opposite.

Scrounging is totally acceptable! I had an old go kart built from a scrounged riding mower and some rectangle tubing my grandpa welded up for me. That thing was a blast!

For the serial number, look for a flat spot underneath the shifter. The first row of numbers and letters are what you want.

Now go have fun on that thing!

Lol that's a sweet build, if it were me I'd abuse the heel out of it just to see what it could take before it died.

I still do that to my xr50, me and Like 7 of my idiot friends can't kill the xr50. Considering i have a reputation as the guy that can somehow break everything this little xr impresses the hell out of me..... ride till it dies, if it will.

It's pretty hard to kill those "bad" chinese motors.

They're kinda like the XRs and seem to be made for longevity rather than performance, which isn't bad for a trail bike.

That's a baja canadian tire spesh!

Those things are bomb proof.

Great score and amazing transformation!

It's either a Baja 50 or a Panterra 50, depending solely upon who the original buyer purchased it from. The older styles of both bikes can be seen below.

2005-baja-dr50_3461050.jpg

000_0235-1.jpg

I worked on the one in the lower picture, they are 72cc displacement engines, despite being badged as 50cc bikes.

I wish crappy tire still sold them. They used to pop up used for cheap because crappy tire didn't carry parts.

Haha I know! My buddy had a red one and it actually went pretty good!

Crappy tire has apparently moved onto Apollo bikes now which I think is great, lots of them will be showing up on usedvictoria for cheap!