Sign in to follow this  

79 xr500 frustration

I have a pair of 79 xr500's that I bought new back then and raced. Been in storage for about 25 years and I'm rebuilding both. One as a café racer and not sure what to do with the other yet. May take it off road.

Anyway, I've been frustrated as to finding the springs for the kick start spindles. Everywhere I go they're out of stock. Originally we had problems with them and spindles snapping but we were able to get the parts back then.

Has anyone come up with a source or replacement? I've already had problems with the first one and it's got 12 to 1 pistons in it so I need a positive lockup on the kick start.

Thanks

Unfortunately we have largely been reduced to junk yards and used parts on ebay for our older XR500's. But sometimes you can find new parts in Europe. Try this Dutch site. Parts are expensive but sometimes the only place to find new.       www.cmsnl.com/

Edited by bimbamboom

Wow, you weren't kidding about expensive. I could live with the price of the spring. $4.14, but the $37 shipping breaks that deal.

I wonder how the Chinese can ship all the way from China on the cheap but these people want $37 for something that may weigh a couple of oz.'s?

Do appreciate the heads up though. If I needed a number of hard to get items I might have sprung for the shipping but I can't see my way through for just the spring.

Yeah-helps to order more than a few things but if you want New Old Stock they are a resource. They buy up others old new stock and obviously make a profit on it.I have ordered a few new parts from them and have paid the price! You might think about what else you might need in the future for old bikes and buy it now.