Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF450R Bottom End and Transmission.

Hi I have found a 2006 CRF that needs work. The transmission is bad and I was curious what would be a good option for fixing the bike or if it is even worth it. Would it be better to rebuild it or could I get a bottom end and bolt up the cylinder and head. If I buy a bottom end what years would bolt up? I have 2011 CRF and this bike would be a project bike to give to my brother.

Edited by hamburglar13

You are not being to clear as what you have, what you need and what's actually messed up... Is the case already split? I have all the gears and a crank I'll sell at a good price if you end up needing them. Pm me about that if your interested. And after far as if it's worth it it depends on the rest of the bikes condition and again what you have, what you need and what's actually messed up

Well... Might as well jump on this guys coat tails. My kid just bought a 05 crf 450r ... We test drove it the day we bought it and no problems. He is a novice and took it to a dirt track and maybe put and hour on it and dumped it a few times. On his last lap he was having problems up shifting and then it would not go past 3rd. He took it to his buddies dad who is a mechanic (not bike but has worked on them his whole life) and took off the right side. He say all looks good, no gearshift spinal shaft issues, no bent shift forks or clutch issues, soooo.... Any suggestions? Haven't split the case but if that has to be done so be it. Just trying to rules out any simple issue before we sent it out for trans repairs.

Well... Might as well jump on this guys coat tails. My kid just bought a 05 crf 450r ... We test drove it the day we bought it and no problems. He is a novice and took it to a dirt track and maybe put and hour on it and dumped it a few times. On his last lap he was having problems up shifting and then it would not go past 3rd. He took it to his buddies dad who is a mechanic (not bike but has worked on them his whole life) and took off the right side. He say all looks good, no gearshift spinal shaft issues, no bent shift forks or clutch issues, soooo.... Any suggestions? Haven't split the case but if that has to be done so be it. Just trying to rules out any simple issue before we sent it out for trans repairs.

I let other dudes work on my bikes like I let them work on my girl.. Not happenin, save yourself some cash, grab a service manual and you and your son spend some time together and build it yourselves..

Or not that's up to you. You can't see the forks until the case is split tho so you don't know that at this point. So it'll shift first-third tho right?

1-2 no problem ... Some difficulty into 3rd but nothing past that. But now it's on the stand. I plan to pick it up and see what I can do on my own. .... Well our own.

Yeah sounding like your gonna have to split the case. Search split case or cases and there's info for days. Let us know..

Cool thanks

yeah no problem man. If your going to do it yourself and are not to sure about it then just start your own thread, take pics and ask questions and between all us bored mf'ers on here bs'n it'll be a breeze

um you cant see the shift forks with the side cover off. :bonk:

there between the case halves

Update... Took the bike to a shop to split the case and inspect the trans... Everything looks normal and within tolerances?????? Gonna have them replace the shift forks anyway and hope it fixes the problem.

Update... Took the bike to a shop to split the case and inspect the trans... Everything looks normal and within tolerances?????? Gonna have them replace the shift forks anyway and hope it fixes the problem.

Whoa, that is not the answer you should be hearing from a mechanic.

You NEVER just start replacing parts hoping to 'solve' the problem.  It  will take you in circles and cost you tons.

If they have not tested the trans for operation while still assembled, how the hell do they know what needs replacing?

They need to mock the trans up using v-blocks to replace the other case half so they can see the trans working, and test it.

Ask them to show you the shift drum!

Whoa, that is not the answer you should be hearing from a mechanic.

You NEVER just start replacing parts hoping to 'solve' the problem.  It  will take you in circles and cost you tons.

If they have not tested the trans for operation while still assembled, how the hell do they know what needs replacing?

They need to mock the trans up using v-blocks to replace the other case half so they can see the trans working, and test it.

Ask them to show you the shift drum!

Its called, the partzooka. They whip it out and start blasting the problem with parts until it goes away...

Is the problem on upshift only or both up and down?

The above vid is the best I can describe. The guy at the shop (a pretty reputable place) said he micro'd the the shift forks and there were within limits but he had a bike in once having the same issue and he replaced the shift forks after splitting the case 2 times looking for the problem after he replaced the shift forks all was well. Bottom line is I can turn a wrench but this is way too deep for me to fix so I had to take it somewhere and trust me "everything looks fine" is not the answer I wanted to hear. BTW he said shift drum and gears look good as well.

^this. You took it to a "professional" so you wouldn't have to possibly guess yourself. Sounds like another story from one of my riding buddy's where it ends with "so that was a waste of five hundred dollars"... Goodluck man

^^ I sure hope not. Like mentioned before... You would like to trust the professional BUT.... A lot of times that is not the case (LOL pun intended) as it is we took the motor off the bike and to it in off the bike.. Then the guy says it is easier to diagnose the problem when the motor and bike are intact BUT.... that then cost more money in labor to fix the problem because they then gotta take the motor out ! Ugh ... Just can't win. Now with the case split and no obvious issues I was left with the choice of what to do. Sssooo... Might as well suck it up and replace the shift forks as the most obvious potential problem ... Put the bike back together and hope for the best. No gears look bad and shift drum looks good. Could be a clutch or clutch basket issue ??? But I can do that myself.

We could guess all day... If you had the motor you could take pics and analyze, compare parts until we discover somethin...

If you can pull the engine out of the frame, then you can split the cases. I just split my cases on my 450 for the first time ever in my life. Everything went back together smoothly, even the transmission shifted through the gears when I tested it after re joining the cases. It's pretty much idiot proof with the right tools and a service manual. So don't ever think splitting cases is above your wrenching skill level, you can do it! Take it from me, I had very limited mechanical experience. I was nervous at first but then I actually started to enjoy myself throughout the rebuild. I also enjoy the fact that I now have all the proper engine tools to do it again in the future and still saved thousands of dollars on labor(there is nothing about it that warrants the amount of money mechanics want to do it). Plus gaining the knowledge is one of the greatest feelings ever.

Edited by Jdunn217
  • Like 2