Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse EXP 3.0 on my '07 kx450f. What all should I replace/upgrade?

I have a kx450f setup to race in the woods.  It still has the original, OEM clutch plates with a bunch of hours on them.  Its actually amazing that they still work.  I havent had the clutch open in a while but last time I looked the basket was still OK but not perfect.

The clutches are something I was already intending to look into in the near future.  I think I'm going to go with a Rekluse EXP 3.0.  Considering the age and abuse that the original clutches have seen, I would be inclined to do replace the clutch components while I'm in there.

I realize that the EXP requires some of the clutch fibers to be removed in order to install the unit.   What should I replace when installing the 3.0?   New basket? New clutch fibers?   The EXP comes with springs, right?

having ran the exp 2.0 and 3.0 for hundreds of hours in 2 honda crf450's, so many hours i have replaced the exp rings a few times in fact... this is my suggestion. Go with all new metals and fibers. you will need fewer naturally, as some get removed if you are just going exp3.0, then simply inspect the pressure plate, and the center hub surface where your innermost fiber rides. If those look good, and your basket looks good, you are set.

Yes, the exp3.0 will come with heavier clutch pressure plate springs you must use. (assuming the kx is similar in design to the crf).

Be sure to "break in" your exp3.0 by just blipping the throttle awhile to allow the weight wedges to ride up/down the ramps and "seat in". Then ride EASY for 20 min or so before getting all crazy with it. Do not overlook this !

Edited by MELK-MAN
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot.  It seems the kx and the crf 450s have similar setups.  After making this post I started doing more research and I was reading a lot of people saying that the exp 3.0 wont work well with the crf and the kx specifically and that they are much better off with the exp core 3.0.  

You are running just the ring right?  Not the entire core setup?  And it has worked well for you?   Is there a lot of increased maintenance and adjustment?  I dont want to be dicking around with it everytime i ride.    Seems like if you have ran them for hundreds of hours and repeatedly purchased the rings, you are satisfied with the product?

And thanks for the break in tips

Thanks a lot.  It seems the kx and the crf 450s have similar setups.  After making this post I started doing more research and I was reading a lot of people saying that the exp 3.0 wont work well with the crf and the kx specifically and that they are much better off with the exp core 3.0.  

You are running just the ring right?  Not the entire core setup?  And it has worked well for you?   Is there a lot of increased maintenance and adjustment?  I dont want to be dicking around with it everytime i ride.    Seems like if you have ran them for hundreds of hours and repeatedly purchased the rings, you are satisfied with the product?

And thanks for the break in tips

i had just the exp2.0 rings in both my crf450r's for hundreds of hours, then about 50 hours ago, after the 2.0 bases wore (ball bearings of wedges wear the base groves over long periods of time) i got the exp3.0 (rings only, not cores). The 3.0 should be more durable and less prone to wear of the bases as the 2.0 was with ball bearings. The teflon-like pads sliding up/down on the ramps of the bases now is (hoping) a better design. 

As far as heating up or whatever, i pay attention to be in the right gear, and not overwork the clutch. If you leave it in a high gear, and just abuse the clutch, the exp3.0 (having less clutch plates) could get wicked hot.. This is where having the full core is a better option. For my ktm350, you can ONLY buy the full core. But i likely woulda gone that route with that bike any way as it is more likely to have the clutch abused vs. the 450 that you can just lug about.

i had just the exp2.0 rings in both my crf450r's for hundreds of hours, then about 50 hours ago, after the 2.0 bases wore (ball bearings of wedges wear the base groves over long periods of time) i got the exp3.0 (rings only, not cores). The 3.0 should be more durable and less prone to wear of the bases as the 2.0 was with ball bearings. The teflon-like pads sliding up/down on the ramps of the bases now is (hoping) a better design. 

As far as heating up or whatever, i pay attention to be in the right gear, and not overwork the clutch. If you leave it in a high gear, and just abuse the clutch, the exp3.0 (having less clutch plates) could get wicked hot.. This is where having the full core is a better option. For my ktm350, you can ONLY buy the full core. But i likely woulda gone that route with that bike any way as it is more likely to have the clutch abused vs. the 450 that you can just lug about.

Thanks that makes sense.  I typically ride with the rpms up in the middle meat of the power band anyway.  I dont like lugging the thing because when Im going fast I like to be able to still raise the front end at a split seconds notice in the event of unforeseen obstacles.     Which is leading me to realize i have another question.  Will the bike still respond like that with the exp ring in there?   If im in the right gear and Im at speed and need to clear a rock or rut or something, or spin the rear tire for some reason, will it let me??  Or is it still going to slip some?

I run a core. I love it. Once I got it set up the way I wanted it I haven't needed to adjust it in 3000 miles. Adjusting the core is a snap.

I would replace the KX450F with a nice two stroke! :goofy:

I have a -13 KX450F with a EXP 2.0. I adjusted it after first ride (after break in) then never touched it (now 65hours of really tech woods riding and some moto) I really recommend the Hinson steel clutch basket witch enables you to keep the bike higher in the rpm's without getting to "snappy" I also use the G2 Dirt Tamer throttle and u can really feel the difference using that product also.