Sign in to follow this  

2009 kx450f not getting spark/fire PlEASE HELP

I got a 2009 kx450f tore it down last year to do a custom paint job on the frame and motor put it all back to gether and no spark so I put the fi indacater light on it and it flashed service code 51 which it the ignition coil so bought a new ignition coil installed it on the bike properly the way the manual says and still no spark bike ran perfect before the paint job.I so I stuck the fi indacator light back on with the new coil installed and still flashes (service code 51) I double checked all the connectiors and everthing looks good I checked the manual it says if there is a failure with the ignition coil it it shuts off the power in the ECU going to the ignition coil according to the manual.How does the power come back on in the ecu to make the ignition coil spark?? this problem has bin a real head scratcher since last summer I put a lot of money into this bike and i can't aford to sink anymore into it right now I was gona take it to the shop but I just figured they would run me a arm and a leg to troubleshoot and have it fixed so just decided to fix it myself I'm new to the fuel injection dirt bikes so if theres anybody out there that could help trubleshoot this no spark/fire problem would be appreciated??????

i cleaned the frame ground up abit to bare metal where the ignition coil bolts up too but i was thinkin now that the frame is painted

maybe its not gettin its full ground? but shouldnt still get ground where i cleaned it up abit where coil mounts are? im still tryin to 

figure out how the ecu turns the power back on to make the ignition coil to spark would you think it would be because the frame is painted?

Did you make a spot on the frame where your ground goes all the way to the metal, now that you have painted the frame?

i cleaned the frame ground up abit to bare metal where the ignition coil bolts up too but i was thinkin now that the frame is painted

maybe its not gettin its full ground? but shouldnt still get ground where i cleaned it up abit where coil mounts are? im still tryin to 

figure out how the ecu turns the power back on to make the ignition coil to spark would you think it would be because the frame is painted?

You Need to check everywhere that the bike grounds the cdi ground the stator ground the coil ground and clean everything to the bare metal. If there is reduced resistance the coil might not be getting enough through the primary winding's. Check the VDC to the coil pick up if that's not putting out or grounded then that would also flash coil issue. Check your service manual for specifics on the coil pick up and test to run. Remember electrical is easy there is power and ground that's it don't let it rack your brain. 

You Need to check everywhere that the bike grounds the cdi ground the stator ground the coil ground and clean everything to the bare metal. If there is reduced resistance the coil might not be getting enough through the primary winding's. Check the VDC to the coil pick up if that's not putting out or grounded then that would also flash coil issue. Check your service manual for specifics on the coil pick up and test to run. Remember electrical is easy there is power and ground that's it don't let it rack your brain. 

Well, not exactly.

You have AC (lighting, ignition) and DC (ecu, and displays) and floating (ecu) and common (ignition) grounds, series loads and parallel loads.

Your service manual will give you a step by step troubleshooting method to all the electrical devices.