Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport Kenda 270s

Was looking around and stumbled across the kenda 270 duel sport tires and noticed they are like $50.00 s a piece cheaper that the dunlop606 or a pair of pirellis. Anyone run these? , gearing up my drz400s for primarily off road, rocky trails, mud. The tread looks good, do they wear that much faster?

I've run these on an XR650R, great tires. OK off road, though I will admit to being a bit cautious off road with a heavy bike, so I respect the tires limits. Very good on road. They wear well. For mostly off road, go with the 606/ MT21, worth the money. Strictly opinion.

I had the front and while it was great onroad, I felt it was seriously lacking offroad.  I'd probably rate it a 70% on/30% off road tire.  But then I also thought that the 606 front was horrid offroad - wears like steel, and grips about as well too.  Try a Kenda Parker DT up front (I've heard rear is good too but I run an MT-43 rear).  The Parker DT is about the same price as the 270, is DOT legal, and is excellent offroad.

Edited by wallrat

I didn't hate them off road, but I didn't find they lasted very long on the highway.  The front cupped very badly and the rear wore really flat in the middle.  The compound was great in hard dirt, but it's a little too closed treaded for anything soft, sandy or muddy.  The kenda Trackmaster II is a really aggressive DOT tire, and it's a fairly hard compound.  It's very loud on the road, and definitely feels like a knobby, but offroad I thought it was well worth the trade-off.

The bridgestone TW301/302 wer quieter than the Trackmasters and wore better than the 270s but they cost 50% more so it's kind of a trade-off anyway.

• Like 1

The front is the best DOT legal tire I've found.  I know a few people that run the rear and are happy with it.

Mostly offroad I'd go with the 606's and MT fronts. The 270 are the same as Shrinko 244's and IRC GP 1's(Bridgstone and Pirelli have one with a similar pattern as well) , mostly just a general purpose tire and geared more toward street and dirt trails. I like the 606's on my XL600.

The Trackmasters are also a good option for offroad, and cheap to boot , front does like to cup bad if run on the street a lot.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

UPS just dropped off a 5.10x18 Kenda 270 to me. It's a big ole beefy tire! I would imagine it will work pretty good off road. I wouldn't run a front unless I was 90% street but the rear 5.1 looks way more aggressive than what I saw on pics.

I run the kenda 270s on my DRZ and love them. Not bad on the street for a 50/50 and legit in the dirt. I was surprized at how well they do and will definately be buying another set soon. The rear has lasted about 2500mi of abuse and the front is still quite decent with the same milage.

Bough them for my 500xcw. 

For light trail riding they are alright, the rear I am actually very happy with but the front is lacking. 

I am an idiot and ordered a kenda760 for the front when people also say this tire lacks BUT I like how the knobs run across the entire tire so the bike can potentially could lean on the street if needed. Bought this over the parker DT. 

I have a full knobby i can toss on if needed. 

If you are looking for dot legal-- another vote for Parker DT front and Pirelli MT43 rear.

I ran this setup with Tubliss (11PSI front, 6PSI rear) in Tahoe and really like it on my street legal WR290.

Currently, I'm running Dunlop AT81 front (not DOT--at 11PSI Tubliss), with MT43 rear. I have an AT81 Desert RC for when it is really muddy or for frozen winter riding-- otherwise it wears too fast on rocky trails/ road use for my taste.

I also have Trakmasters front and rear (Tubliss 12/ 6 psi) on the GF street legal crf230. They seem to wear well on the low powered bike and she is not aggressive off road. I will swap her to a MT43 rear at the next tire change-- the hookup is just that good, especially tubliss and 6psi.

• Like 1

They're on the GF's bike, I find they wear quickly, but decent tire...

Scropion Pro is great (even the medium/hard)

Experimenting with MotoZ IT's presently but they like low pressures (tubliss is great)

In todays world for DOT DS tires you get what you pay for, sorry (I know i'm a buzz kill)

Mostly offroad I'd go with the 606's and MT fronts. The 270 are the same as Shrinko 244's and IRC GP 1's(Bridgstone and Pirelli have one with a similar pattern as well) , mostly just a general purpose tire and geared more toward street and dirt trails. I like the 606's on my XL600.

The Trackmasters are also a good option for offroad, and cheap to boot , front does like to cup bad if run on the street a lot.

Kendas are 50/50. 606's and MT21's are 90/10 dirt/street. I had 15 miles of uninterrupted sand today, the 270's would have made it more painful. On the 85 miles of rocks probably not a lot of difference. MT21 is way better than the 606 in front. 606 may wear better in rear.

Mike

Not bad at all. The 270 is the best compromise tire for my xr600 rear. Does better than a 606. Key is heavy duty tube and 10-15 psi off road. Almost trials tire grip.handles cornering well enough. Street pretty good for a know by. PireLli up front.

The Kenda 760 Trakmaster IIs are the way to go. They are modeled after the old Dunlop 752 tires and are DOT. They work and last quite well, way more than the Kenda Parker or maxxis that comes stock on EXCs. They are 63.00 from revzilla.com with no tax or shipping. Hard to beat that deal on my favorite dual sport tire. Cheers

Rear is barely acceptable. The front is worthless off road. May as well get a full road tire