Sign in to follow this  

New Rider, what size bike should I get?

Greetings!

I am 16 years old and I want to start riding dirt bikes because a lot of my other friends ride and I want to tag along. I have no experience at all riding dirt bikes so don't necessarily think I would be comfortable riding a large bike to start out.

I am 6'0" 165lbs. Some of my buddies said I should start out on a 125 bike but I'd like your guys' input as well. Also, if a 125 would be good I've been told that TTR125's are good bikes to start out on.

Thanks guys! Hope to hear from you soon!

Greetings!

I am 16 years old and I want to start riding dirt bikes because a lot of my other friends ride and I want to tag along. I have no experience at all riding dirt bikes so don't necessarily think I would be comfortable riding a large bike to start out.

I am 6'0" 165lbs. Some of my buddies said I should start out on a 125 bike but I'd like your guys' input as well. Also, if a 125 would be good I've been told that TTR125's are good bikes to start out on.

Thanks guys! Hope to hear from you soon!

Maybe a 125 2 stroke, but not a TTR. You are too tall, even for the big wheel model. Maybe a 230. They are not as big as a 250MX bike, and are much more controllable for a beginner

Something to think about: usually when someone in the dirtbike world says 125 they mean 125 MX bike. It's a full size but lightweight 2 stroke motocross bike. Very fast and not good for learning or riding on trails. It's a great bike for a kid your age who has grown up riding and is working their way up in power and performance but not for learning from step one.

You need something easier so that you can learn, have fun and not hurt yourself. Your problem is that you are a full size human. You need a full size bike that doesn't have much power. Too much power makes it difficult to ride for a beginner. There aren't too many bikes like that. Most of us full size people know how to ride or are experts. We don't want a full size, lightweight, slow bike. But that's exactly what you need.

The TTR125 would be great for you but it's physically too small. Like sitting in a kiddie chair, you'll be all cramped up on it.

You need to say how much money you have to spend, then we can recommend a bike for you. If you have $1000, that's a lot different bike than if you are wealthy and want to spend $5000. Plan on the fact that as a beginner you'll need to sell it in a year or two- a good learning bike is going to get boring once you begin to get better. And that's a very good thing- having too wimpy a bike is actually a lot more fun than a bike that's too fast.

• Like 1

Something to think about: usually when someone in the dirtbike world says 125 they mean 125 MX bike. It's a full size but lightweight 2 stroke motocross bike. Very fast and not good for learning or riding on trails. It's a great bike for a kid your age who has grown up riding and is working their way up in power and performance but not for learning from step one.

You need something easier so that you can learn, have fun and not hurt yourself. Your problem is that you are a full size human. You need a full size bike that doesn't have much power. Too much power makes it difficult to ride for a beginner. There aren't too many bikes like that. Most of us full size people know how to ride or are experts. We don't want a full size, lightweight, slow bike. But that's exactly what you need.

The TTR125 would be great for you but it's physically too small. Like sitting in a kiddie chair, you'll be all cramped up on it.

You need to say how much money you have to spend, then we can recommend a bike for you. If you have $1000, that's a lot different bike than if you are wealthy and want to spend $5000. Plan on the fact that as a beginner you'll need to sell it in a year or two- a good learning bike is going to get boring once you begin to get better. And that's a very good thing- having too wimpy a bike is actually a lot more fun than a bike that's too fast.

Thanks for your input! Id say that the most I'll pay for my *first* bike is about $1000. I just asked around and my friend has a TTR125 but he's a good 5-6 inches smaller than me and if you say that it's too small of a bike, I get it. Also, you're right, me being 6'0 is definitely a problem because I'm only 16 and I've been growing like a weed and I feel like I'm going to be a lot taller given my family's genetics.

Really all I'm searching around for is something that will not be intimidating to learn to ride on and will be easy to buzz around on trails with my friends. Once I learn to ride it well, I'll certainly sell it and get a bigger bike if I like the sport. From my understanding though, isn't there a TTR125L that's a bit bigger. http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/4438576107.html (local ad on craigslist) Would that work out? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Guthardwaldrid

Thanks for your input! Id say that the most I'll pay for my *first* bike is about $1000. I just asked around and my friend has a TTR125 but he's a good 5-6 inches smaller than me and if you say that it's too small of a bike, I get it. Also, you're right, me being 6'0 is definitely a problem because I'm only 16 and I've been growing like a weed and I feel like I'm going to be a lot taller given my family's genetics.

Really all I'm searching around for is something that will not be intimidating to learn to ride on and will be easy to buzz around on trails with my friends. Once I learn to ride it well, I'll certainly sell it and get a bigger bike if I like the sport. From my understanding though, isn't there a TTR125L that's a bit bigger. http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/4438576107.html (local ad on craigslist) Would that work out? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I totally agree with sandlover. TTR 125L is the big wheel model I was talking about. Still too small for you. The 230 is the same style bike, but your size and stronger. Still nowhere near as intimidating as a MX bike
  • Like 1

What price range of the TTR230? If it's around $1000 that'd be perfect. Also it doesn't have to be Yamaha. Just something reliable and good to get stated on.

you may be able to get lucky and find something around $1500. The bikes hold their value very well, so they don't drop a lot more than that unless they are ragged out. The good news is you can probably ride it for a year and sell it for what you bought it for. Honda CRF 230 is virtually the same bike

A kdx 200-220 is a perfect bike for a beginner of your size , or even a ttr230,crf230, or xr250. a rider your size doesnt want a ttr125 or klx140. they are way too small . When you get the hang of riding,youll be lookin to sell asap because too small. The other poster was right about the 125 motocross bikes, too hard for a beginner to ride. Kdx200-220 are perfect. And, will last a long time,cheap to work on , and has enough performance to keep you happy as you progress.

Edited by ohiocoalminer
  • Like 1

A kdx 200-220 is a perfect bike for a beginner of your size , or even a ttr230,crf230, or xr250. a rider your size doesnt want a ttr125 or klx140. they are way too small . When you get the hang of riding,youll be lookin to sell asap because too small. The other poster was right about the 125 motocross bikes, too hard for a beginner to ride. Kdx200-220 are perfect. And, will last a long time,cheap to work on , and has enough performance to keep you happy as you progress.

Disagree on the KDX, too much bike for a total newbie. They are very snappy over 50% throttle and you can't expect a 0% experience beginner to have any throttle or clutch control. Otherwise the KDX is my most recommended beginner bike.

A flat torque curve is best, one of the 230s fits the bill for a full size. Not gonna find a nice on under $1500 unless you are lucky though, kind of a sought after bike for slow guys and wives. XR250s are a higher level but still easy to ride. Doubtful you'd find a nice one for under $1500, more like 2K.

A note to the OP, even though that TTR125L is WAY too small for you it looks like a great price. If you are on a REAL tight budget it might be worth jamming yourself on it for a year in order to get the basics. I love the idea of guys learning how to ride on underpowered bikes.  -I learned on overpowered monsters and it sucked. After a year or less, get a KDX!

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 1

I started  my son on a drz 400 he was 16 and about your size. he did great on this bike. Enough power to grow, but you can lug em around.

Disagree on the KDX, too much bike for a total newbie. They are very snappy over 50% throttle and you can't expect a 0% experience beginner to have any throttle or clutch control. Otherwise the KDX is my most recommended beginner bike.

A flat torque curve is best, one of the 230s fits the bill for a full size. Not gonna find a nice on under $1500 unless you are lucky though, kind of a sought after bike for slow guys and wives. XR250s are a higher level but still easy to ride. Doubtful you'd find a nice one for under $1500, more like 2K.

A note to the OP, even though that TTR125L is WAY too small for you it looks like a great price. If you are on a REAL tight budget it might be worth jamming yourself on it for a year in order to get the basics. I love the idea of guys learning how to ride on underpowered bikes. -I learned on overpowered monsters and it sucked. After a year or less, get a KDX!

Seen it done quite a few times. A kdx is a very friendly bike a new rider of his size could grow into quite nicely. Ive been around these things for alot of years. The kdx is lighter , as friendly , and pretty much blows any non-competition 4 stroke out of the water in any aspect.

Seen it done quite a few times. A kdx is a very friendly bike a new rider of his size could grow into quite nicely. Ive been around these things for alot of years. The kdx is lighter , as friendly , and pretty much blows any non-competition 4 stroke out of the water in any aspect.

CAN it be done? -Sure. I had a CR250 at 12 years old.

I don't want to get into a debate. So I'm gonna throw this out there and sign off.

We can agree to disagree as to whether a brand new rider who doesn't know how to use a clutch, or shift, or brake, or use any techniques of body position or inertia should jump on a 36 horsepower, 6 speed two stroke.

I'd rather see him on an 8 or 10 horsepower play bike that he can throw around and have fun on. What's the hurry? In fact, the OP will grow his skills quicker my way. 

• Like 1

What sucks is for your height and weight and budget an older 2000-2002 RM125 or YZ125 would be just about perfect.  They are easy for the home mechanic to work on so you would also learn some wrenching skills.  The main problem is that's not a beginner bike. 

It wouldn't hurt to explain your situation to your friend and say you want to learn how to ride and wanted to try his bike out.  You said one friend has a ttr125.  That would be perfect for you to learn the basics on.

As far as what bike would be good for you right now I'm on the fence.  Your at the age were if you really like riding and start with a smaller less powerful bike you'll probably want to upgrade in a year.  On the other hand if you start out with a bike too powerful or too challenging to drive you might lose interest or really hurt yourself.

I know this didn't help much but I would definitely try and get some seat time on a friends bike.  Worst they can say is no they don't want you riding it but I know when I was that age I let all my friends ride my bike.

Everyone is saying that a TTR 125 would be to small. I'm 6'7 and I have a TTR 125L, it's the large wheel version and I can fit on it fine. I paid $900 for it. I think something like that would work good for yu, if I can ride it at 6'7 you should be able to.