Painting plastics

YA it is Nuclear CowBoyz... yo it is all about style... don't ever fall down or a $1000 paint job is wasted.

there is about 100 threads on painting plastics on bikes... none of them end well and 9 of 10 people will say "WHY???" "DONT DO IT!!!"

it must be raining out and you just want to go mess up your perfectly good bike?

I would get some of that clear 3m coating stuff they put on cars and put that on the painted parts that would give a little protection but I would way rather just get a graphic kit through it on and rip and not have to worry about it getting scratched and paying a shit ton to get it re painted if something Happened to it

In a dirt bike application this is very "broish" and I question the durability but looking at the paint system (Spectra Chrome) it looks pretty legit for other applications where traditional chrome cannot be applied, however this system is far from DIY with the entry level kit/system being about $3000 with the pain booth systems around $8000.  It is interesting that the paint is a waterborne paint.  I know that is the new thing for more traditional paint but for chrome paint that is pretty unique.

I got to wonder though, they have embedding and comments disabled on that particular video.  Not a good choice if your trying to pimp a product on Youtube, shareability is the key

Here is the whole process, like I said seems legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYMLTvDDNM8

• Like 1

Any of those auto graphics shops around everywhere that do the side graphics for cars ,trucks, and camp trailers , can all do custom graphics to fit your fenders and shrouds , they do it all on a computer then make it into a stick-on printout  , for a bike i doubt the cost would be any more than buying any other graphics for your bike and you will get exactly what you want

This way they will (or you can ask for one) have a backup copy of the graphics , so if later on the graphics get damaged you can go back to them and get a replacement panel done , so you could replace just the left shroud graphic for example  , they can usually do most of that stuff while you wait , this way you dont have to worry about the paint peeling off the plastics , and it will be more durable , just as bike graphics would be

Edited by 450XJimDirt

I painted my rear fender, fork guards, fork louvers and side panels flat black. My bike is a 2013 yz250 so i hated all the white on it. The dirt started to stain in a dull brown quickly. The krylon plastic spray paint has held up great. Took some roost, some tree branchs and crashs. The worst spot is from my boots gettin on and off the bike hitting side panels and from taking the seat off to clean the air filter. It cost me 20 bucks for 4 cans of paint and lasted 60+ hrs. I care probly too much and clean my bike religiously. I love to clean a fix my bike just as much as riding. Bike can use a touch up now so will sand the plastics down again and re-apply 3 or 4 more coates.

I painted my rear fender, fork guards, fork louvers and side panels flat black. My bike is a 2013 yz250 so i hated all the white on it. The dirt started to stain in a dull brown quickly. The krylon plastic spray paint has held up great. Took some roost, some tree branchs and crashs. The worst spot is from my boots gettin on and off the bike hitting side panels and from taking the seat off to clean the air filter. It cost me 20 bucks for 4 cans of paint and lasted 60+ hrs. I care probly too much and clean my bike religiously. I love to clean a fix my bike just as much as riding. Bike can use a touch up now so will sand the plastics down again and re-apply 3 or 4 more coates.

I use the same stuff on my fork guards and front disk guard (Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint and painted them black on both my bikes) , it holds up great  , but the OP wanted to put some kind of gun graphics on his bike , not just paint the plastic 1 color i think

img1028dq.jpg

img0029vw.jpg

Edited by 450XJimDirt
  • Like 1