Sign in to follow this  

Thumper newbee with XT350 questions...

Hi all. I am a newbee to this forum and to thumpers in general. Just bought a '94 XT350. It ran when I test drove it, and I am able to start it with some effort, but it almost immediately stalls out. Temp is in the 70's and the bike is inside. I'm having to choke it to get it started. I'm guessing the problem is fuel delivery. What are the logical first steps to track this down? I figured I would pull the air box(es) and do a visual for leaks and cracks on the carb to engine connection... maybe spray in some carb cleaner. Good idea? Bad idea? I don't even know what the standard idle screw setting should be as a starting point.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm having to choke it to get it started.

That's exactly what the choke is for . Try running it with choke until it warms up a bit , then close the choke .

Leave the carb cleaner on the shelf . It eats rubber bits . Use it only when there's only metal to clean and then still leave it on the shelf because it's pretty useless for that , too .

That's exactly what the choke is for . Try running it with choke until it warms up a bit , then close the choke .

Leave the carb cleaner on the shelf . It eats rubber bits . Use it only when there's only metal to clean and then still leave it on the shelf because it's pretty useless for that , too .

I will take your advice on the carb cleaner. My experience with it has been with old cars and cleaning disassembled parts...

I know to choke it to start it, but it only runs for about 5 seconds. Never warms up. That's a new development. I ran it a few times for about 5 minutes each time and it eventually stalled out no matter where the choke was. It has a plastic Clarke tank so I can look inside and see that there is no visible water. Even then, the fuel pick-up is about 1 1/2" so water, if it was there, would still not be the first thing to the carbs.

Edited by scootermann

Sounds like a thurough carb cleaning is in order . Particularly the idle circuit has to be pristine . But all circuits need to be clean , of course . I use brake cleaner , followed by plenty of compressed air .

And , always run a good paper in line fuel filter .

Are there gasket kits or rebuild kits readily available for these carbs? I noticed the boot between the carb and the head might have a little delamination between the rubber and metal. It doesnt look like a crack or even old, but I'm not sure if that could be letting some air in between the carb and manifold. Are those boots still available... and are they the same for all the XT350s?

I have located at least one of the problems. I could see a tiny delamination in the carb boot and gave it the starter fluid test. Strangely enough, it would kill the engine. Based on my automobile experience, I thought the opposite would happen. I got it running (full choke, high idle) and started pushing in the choke. When the motor was almost stalled I sprayed the starter fluid. A big rev, then total stall. So it was having some effect, which meant there was a gap in the boot. Disconnected the carb and went to pull it away from the boot and half the boot came with it! Yep... that could mean something.

I am "building" a new boot (as per info gleaned from this forum) and will post the results. Going to wait on the results that before investigating the carb issue further. Also hoping that some of the valve noise was because the thing was running so rich... easy enough to check the plug.