Sign in to follow this  

Basket case

Last year I had to sell my 01YZ426F that I had bought new back in 2001, it was tough letting it go.  But hey family comes first and with the wife out of a job sacrifices had to be made. 

Anyways, a year later my boys are riding on their dirt bikes and I get the feeling that I'm left out b/c I'm just sitting on the side watching them roost each other and enjoying themselves.  I tell the wife I want to get a new bike, she says ok!  So I went over to the dealership and started looking...... OUCH!!!!! I don't remember paying 8K for my 4-stroke. SO with that being said, I decided I'd look at getting a project to work on over the next couple of months and get it built in time to get some riding in this summer with my boys 8 & 7.  Scouring craigslist I found a 99KX250 that seemed like a good canidate at $500 OBO.  Description made it sound like it was running and had been torn down for a new top end and then the project stalled.  So I go over and take a look.  The Bike is in pieces, pieces in boxes, pieces in totes, pieces on the floor, pieces in buckets on and on and on.... 

Looking at all the pieces I'm making a mental note trying to assemble all the parts as I see them into a bike in my head.  Everything seems to be there.  I asked the kid what he was trying to do and he says he was trying to freshen it up and in the process he decided he wanted to do a ground up rebuild, but soon realized it was more than what he wanted to get into.  He assured me all the pieces were there( I've heard that before on a sled rebuild) I asked him his bottom dollar hes says $400.  I told him I was more in the $150 scrap price range just because of the fact its strewn about in boxes, totes, buckets, bags etc.  I had no way of knowing that everything is there, I'm just buying on good faith and that nothing else is wrong.  So after much haggling, I picked up the basket case for $175.  I'm hoping everying is there and there isn't much missing, if there is then EBAY will be my friend.  I hope to keep you all updated on the progress and setbacks of this basket case.   I've set my budget at $800 total with the purchase of the bike.  Not looking to build a podium winner, or a head turner, just a good reliable runner to make a few laps around the track/trails at the house with the kids. This year its all about getting it together and running, next year/winter I'll worry about getting it to look good.   

WOW.

Good luck on the project as much as trying to get it going for only $625 more!!

lol.^^^^  This...

Would have saved yourself a headache getting something not torn apart, But at least you will know what exactly you're dealing with.  Since its all torn apart. Better start buying stuff.  Crank kit, bearings, gaskets, seals, piston kit.  have the replated if its due.  while you're waiting on the head to be checked, good time to tear it the rest of the way apart. Clean all the bushings and inspect for wear, repack with grease and start on re-assembly. They sell bolt kits on ebay for like 20 bucks. Should be enough to do a whole bike. 

For $175, if at least all the major parts are there, you can't really go wrong. You'll know the condition of every parts as you rebuild/replace/reassemble everything, and you'll end up with an essentially new bike for a few hundred dollars more, as long as you can do the work yourself.

For what it's worth I love L series basket cases. I change the transmission in every L series I have so a basket case is a great start for me.

Just take your time and you will end up with a bike better than it was new. My 99 is my favorite bike of all time and I ride it the most of any of my bikes.

Ed