Sign in to follow this  

Magneto cover

Hi all,

Just picked up a 91 Xr 600. The casting for the clutch cable is busted off the magneto cover. I have an 87 Xr 600 cover. Parts diagram lists it as a different part number but it looks the same, and takes the same gasket. Will it fit?

Hey, I also have a '91 XR6 and the same thing happened to mine. I'm not sure it the side covers you speak of are interchangable or not, but XR's Only sells a "bling" style replacement bracket. I got one last year, and it fits perfect and is shiny as well......a good investment IMO as getting another side cover will eventually break the same clutch cable tab off as well...

This is what I bought.....

clutch_bracket_1(1).jpg

I think the earlier cover will fit, but I've never tried.  I've also seen a picture of someone who repaired the broken mount with a few washers and a cut off bolt.

Whenever installing a magneto cover, be sure to seal the wiring loom gromet well with RTV.

From what I can tell this gasket is no longer available. What are the odds of saving the original if I take it off to try the other cover? I know you have no idea but wondering if most have been able to save the gasket when pulling this cover.

Don't know where you're looking for the gasket..It is certainly still available from Honda..

You can even make them if you have the punches,, some gasket paper,,scissors and knife..

Being able to reuse the gasket depends on luck,,It may be stuck on like rock to a sidecover..it may not..

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2541778&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1987&fveh=132518

Any 600 XR/XL cover will fit your bike..

Make sure you get the clutch arm and cup that goes in the bottom of it back in properly or you will have no clutch once you

bolt it back together..

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1