Should I Install My FCR39mx?!

Or better yet get it installed.  I acquired a 07 DRZ400s about 7 months ago.  The guy included a brand new FCR39mx carb in the box w/ the sale.  All the necessary parts are with it.  He just never got around to installing it on the bike.  I have got the yoshimura rs-2 exhaust, jet kit and the 3x3 mod all installed and love the power of the bike.  I do mainly trail riding and some single track stuff up here in the NW.  I don't feel like i necessarily need more power but definitely wouldn't dismiss it.. And since i already have the carb and parts, installation would be my only cost.

Just wanted some opinions on this.. How much power increase would be expected and does it compromise any reliability?  Everytime i go to my parts box i see the carb and think should i get this thing installed or sell it or just leave it alone ha?

• Like 1

Or better yet get it installed.  I acquired a 07 DRZ400s about 7 months ago.  The guy included a brand new FCR39mx carb in the box w/ the sale.  All the necessary parts are with it.  He just never got around to installing it on the bike.  I have got the yoshimura rs-2 exhaust, jet kit and the 3x3 mod all installed and love the power of the bike.  I do mainly trail riding and some single track stuff up here in the NW.  I don't feel like i necessarily need more power but definitely wouldn't dismiss it.. And since i already have the carb and parts, installation would be my only cost.

Just wanted some opinions on this.. How much power increase would be expected and does it compromise any reliability?  Everytime i go to my parts box i see the carb and think should i get this thing installed or sell it or just leave it alone ha?

If it was me and I already had it and didn't have to BUY it, I would for sure put it on. No question about performance gains......... ?

• Like 2

If it was me and I already had it and didn't have to BUY it, I would for sure put it on. No question about performance gains......... ?

M8,  Been looking at the what did you do to your REAL S today thread,  been expecting to see some installed tank pics?   :snore:  :D

• Like 1

M8,  Been looking at the what did you do to your REAL S today thread,  been expecting to see some installed tank pics?   :snore:  :D

Should finish up by noon......got 2 honeydoooos first.....hahahahaha. You know how that goes........ ?

Thanks M8

• Like 3

Ron and Signman,

Thanks for the reply, Is it a pretty noticeable diff when you first get it installed and ride?  Has it compromised any reliability for you guys? 

I don't have that carb cause I couldn't afford it, so I got a CVK40 which I really like.

If I got a bike that came with that carb there's no question I would use it. From all I have read, I don't think you'll have issues.......more than anything you'll have GRINS!!!  ?

• Like 3

Ron and Signman,

Thanks for the reply, Is it a pretty noticeable diff when you first get it installed and ride?  Has it compromised any reliability for you guys? 

The simplest way to explain is,  is INSTANT bolt on HP,    With the stock carb,  you WOT the throttle,  and it starts going,  gets faster and faster as you keep moving,  with the FCR,  you twist the throttle and it just GOES,  the front wheel comes up with ease (kinda scary at first) it pulls you forward so much stronger, and i noticed that it pulls really hard on top in 5th gear,  gets you to top much quicker.

Its such a good mod,  i read about it,  but didnt realize how good it is till i found out for me self.

Alos,  with the mikuni i had to used choke almost all the time,  (unless it was 90+ degrees)  with the FCR,  i never use the choke,  it just starts right up and is ready to go,   i did lose about 7-8 mpg tho,  could care less,  its worth the extra $0.40 cents in gas  ?

Hardest thing about install IMO is getting the cables to snap back,  takes some time getting it right.

• Like 4

The simplest way to explain is, is INSTANT bolt on HP, With the stock carb, you WOT the throttle, and it starts going, gets faster and faster as you keep moving, with the FCR, you twist the throttle and it just GOES, the front wheel comes up with ease (kinda scary at first) it pulls you forward so much stronger, and i noticed that it pulls really hard on top in 5th gear, gets you to top much quicker.

Its such a good mod, i read about it, but didnt realize how good it is till i found out for me self.

Alos, with the mikuni i had to used choke almost all the time, (unless it was 90+ degrees) with the FCR, i never use the choke, it just starts right up and is ready to go, i did lose about 7-8 mpg tho, could care less, its worth the extra $0.40 cents in gas ?

Hardest thing about install IMO is getting the cables to snap back, takes some time getting it right.

Big time +1 on that. Makes for a completely different bike. In a good way!

• Like 1

The simplest way to explain is,  is INSTANT bolt on HP,    With the stock carb,  you WOT the throttle,  and it starts going,  gets faster and faster as you keep moving,  with the FCR,  you twist the throttle and it just GOES,  the front wheel comes up with ease (kinda scary at first) it pulls you forward so much stronger, and i noticed that it pulls really hard on top in 5th gear,  gets you to top much quicker.

Its such a good mod,  i read about it,  but didnt realize how good it is till i found out for me self.

Alos,  with the mikuni i had to used choke almost all the time,  (unless it was 90+ degrees)  with the FCR,  i never use the choke,  it just starts right up and is ready to go,   i did lose about 7-8 mpg tho,  could care less,  its worth the extra $0.40 cents in gas  ?

Hardest thing about install IMO is getting the cables to snap back,  takes some time getting it right.

7-8 MPG? so I am getting 53mpg so your saying that it drops down to 46-45 range with the FCR?

7-8 MPG? so I am getting 53mpg so your saying that it drops down to 46-45 range with the FCR?

Yeh, I'd say that's realistic. Even the CVK changes mileage, I went from 58-62mpg to 48-52mpg.......I think the greatest part of the change is increased wrist-twist, hahahaha, but you can't NOT do that once you experience the power. I used to think that I would never use that kind of power out in the dirt because the trails don't allow much time to open it up and haul a$$, but somehow you find a way.

lol, yeh, I use it alright, and the riding experience is definitely better..... ?  The difference between a CVK and FCR cost-wise is considerable so you could always look into the other options....... :excuseme:

Yes, install it.  There is a TON of research and help right here on the forum if you run into any issues.  Just make sure you set aside a good window of time to do it.  If you work on bikes a lot, it shouldn't be hard.  If not, you will want to give yourself enough time to get it done right.  The carb is a very tight fit and, as 150ron stated, getting the cables to push/pull freely can be difficult.  In the end, it is well worth it.

Yes, install it. There is a TON of research and help right here on the forum if you run into any issues. Just make sure you set aside a good window of time to do it. If you work on bikes a lot, it shouldn't be hard. If not, you will want to give yourself enough time to get it done right. The carb is a very tight fit and, as 150ron stated, getting the cables to push/pull freely can be difficult. In the end, it is well worth it.

On that note it might help to remove your return cable if it does bind, i cut mine when my throttle was sticking

The carb is going to do zip sitting in the box.....Install it M8...and Laugh....

You will increase your fuel consumption...By how much is subjective to your right wrist...

For the record I've returned some good fuel consumption figures on my BB E....on road with EMP needle 25.5 km / litre is about the best...

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2

The carb is going to do zip sitting in the box.....Install it M8...and Laugh....

You will increase your fuel consumption...By how much is subjective to your right wrist...

For the record I've returned some good fuel consumption figures on my BB E....on road with EMP needle 25.5 km / litre is about the best...

Pluss 1 on the Installation and the Laughing .

• Like 2

Alright guys!! thanks for the encouragement.  Will likely have my local shop drop it in for me as Im relatively new to working on bikes and don't have a lot of space to do it (apartment)..  I'll report back once she is in.. Also can someone list all the components in addition to the carb itself that are necessary.  I believe there is a extended fuel screw in the box and some other stuff.. I just want to make sure i have all the right parts