Sign in to follow this  

Overheating

I have a 2006 kx450f and it likes to overheat, iv done a lot of research, people say go with a boyson water pump, 1.8 cap, and engine ice. I looked up there water pumps, they seem to have 3-4 different pumps, are they all the same or do they act differently? Which should I get?

A friend of mine has the same bike and it seems to run a little hot too but not to the point of causing damage. What type of riding are you doing, slow speed?

I do a lot of track riding and woods riding and field riding. So i ride a lot of speeds. What I like to do is when I get done riding I shut my gas off and let the bike idle till it dies and depending on what I just got done riding it will overheat doing that, never used to do that before.

Stationary and Idling will cause your bike to run hot, these bikes are designed to run with air flow slamming through the radiator. 

Engine Ice is awesome stuff but even that wont cool it down enough when stationary.

Drain out the anti-freeze and refill it with Evans, problem will be solved.  It's pricey but works.  I've been running it in my yz for about 2 years now and not one boil over or issue, all single track woods riding and brush busting (making my own trail).

• Like 1

What I like to do is when I get done riding I shut my gas off and let the bike idle till it dies and depending on what I just got done riding it will overheat doing that, never used to do that before.

That's quite bad for your motor. Running it until the carb bowl is empty with a lean fuel mix condition with no air through the radiators, and the motor will get seriously hot.

Do that enough times and it's very possible that you've developed a small head gasket leak or warped your head and now hot combustion gases are over pressurizing and heating your coolant.  In which case now you can try any special coolant or pressure cap, and it wont solve the worsening problem.

If you really must store the bike with carb empty (which only makes sense if you're leaving the bike stored for 3 or more weeks), then run it empty while riding it, or lay the bike over and let it drain out an overflow tube, or if a long store then remove the carb drain plug with a thick rag under the carb.   Just don't cook your motor stationary on a stand.

Your answer depend on the real overheating issue. So let me ask you a few questions? does it overheat unreasonably or is it over heating do too slow technical sections where you are clutching a lot. (your clutch will over heat your motor if over used) also...after your shut it off from overheating, is it hard to start but seems to start after you let it sit for 20 minutes or so. I run my 06' and my 13' in Las Vegas heat 100 degrees plus for 100 plus miles at a time. 

I started having the same problem with my 06 and sat is denial forever and replaced radiators, high flow pumps, high pressure hoses, and the 1.6 cap. (i have always ran engine ICE in every application, street or dirt) and it ended up being a valve leak. If your familiar with piping off valves you can check but you will need and compressor to put them back on. Just be careful buying a bunch of stuff you don't necessarily need. BUT the boysen pump and getting a higher pressure cap is the way to go!! Enigine ice in my opinion is always a must.