Sign in to follow this  

Fork bottom cap spring clip thingy

98 RM250 with the standard, non inverted forks; I'm trying to get the clip in the bottom of the outer tube out that is the final step in disassembling the forks and allows the inner tube to slide out the bottom. It's like a snap ring but without the holes for snap ring pliers to fit in to. I'm just trying to change the seals. I know that with enough effort you can get the seals out without pulling the tubes apart, but I've tried a little bit and the oil seal is in there pretty good. Plus I'd like to just get them all the way apart so I can give them a mineral spirits bath and have them squeaky clean for when I return the bike to its' owner. Any tips on how to get this heavy duty spring clip out without scratching the tube?

Thanks guys!!

Dylan

Edited by YX600

alright thanks for all the help guys. how bout this...after rebuilding the shocks and re assembling everything exactly as it came apart and in the same order, both legs are now topping out; they're both extending about an inch or inch and a half past where they should stop, allowing the inner tube to wobble and the springs to bounce around inside the fork...if I were to put them back on the bike and ride on them, the seals would be toast the second the front wheel left the ground... ummmmmmmmm wtf? 430cc oil in each leg, making sure to fill the fork as well as the secondary chamber thing that the fork cap is attached to. I say again, wtf

Sorry I don't know that fork