Sign in to follow this  

air filter melted

hi,

I've replaced the air filter today, and found out that it's a little bit melted and burnt inside.

I do have the metal screen installed in the airbox.

What can cause that?

can i ride tomorrow? I don't want the other filter to be burmt as well...

thanks!

I really doubt it's melted. Air goes toward the engine away from the air filter, not the other way around. Are you sure it isn't just where the foam is glued at the seams?

Also the "burnt" parts are just dirt?

Doutsh , I recently had to replace mine due to it melting , but it was due to fuel contamination . I washed it in petrol and went away on holiday for 2 months . When I went to ride it again , I popped the airbox lid off to get to the battery and saw that the aircleaner had started crumbling on the outside and it had melted on the inside . Was yours actually burnt ? As in blackened . Has the bike been backfiring at all ? Or did you do the same as me and just used too strong of a solvent , greg

Mine melted a little recently.  At first I thought it was oil that I had found inside the filter, but it was actually little bits of melted foam.  I didn't have any rotten fuel in the bike, but the filter smelled like it.  When you look inside your airbox, there should be a metal screen that the filter seats over.  In my case, I determined that there was a backfire in the carb.  Some sparks made it through the screen and melted the filter.  It was obvious that the black stuff I found in there was melted foam and not oil once I held it up to the light.  A backfire in the carb isn't a common occurrence, but it does happen.  I replaced the filter and have checked it after the last few rides.  So far no problems.  I'd do the same as I did and sum it up to coincidence.

Photo Mar 08, 3 12 24 PM.jpg

i'm sure it's not dirt or fuel.

I'm only using no-toil green products which are supposed to prevent the filter from catching fire.

my filtrer looks exactly like dec's (for some reason i can't upload a picture).

I'm afraid to ride like this, beacuse if there's a problem that caused the backfire, I dont want to make it worse

Backfires can happen randomly and the no-toil oil is full of solvent.  If you use the filter without waiting for the solvent to evaporate a backfire could make it catch fire.  This happened to a friend of mine a while ago, it was pretty entertaining to watch him put the flaming filter out but he had to ride out of the bush without a filter which isn't so great.

Steve

i'm sure it's not dirt or fuel.

I'm only using no-toil green products which are supposed to prevent the filter from catching fire.

my filtrer looks exactly like dec's (for some reason i can't upload a picture).

I'm afraid to ride like this, beacuse if there's a problem that caused the backfire, I dont want to make it worse

I use the green No-Toil biodegradable filter oil too, that's why my filter is green.  Trust me, you'll be fine.  Put in another filter and go ride.  Worst case, if it happens again you're only out $20 an then you'll know it's no longer a coincidence.  You'll have a starting point for your search of the problem.

Backfires can happen randomly and the no-toil oil is full of solvent.  If you use the filter without waiting for the solvent to evaporate a backfire could make it catch fire.  This happened to a friend of mine a while ago, it was pretty entertaining to watch him put the flaming filter out but he had to ride out of the bush without a filter which isn't so great.

Steve

I thought the green bio oil uses water as a carrier and not solvent.  I do know from personal experience that it takes the water carrier in the green oil longer to dissolve than the solvent in the red oil, especially in humid conditions.

I use the green No-Toil biodegradable filter oil too, that's why my filter is green.  Trust me, you'll be fine.  Put in another filter and go ride.  Worst case, if it happens again you're only out $20 an then you'll know it's no longer a coincidence.  You'll have a starting point for your search of the problem.

I thought the green bio oil uses water as a carrier and not solvent.  I do know from personal experience that it takes the water carrier in the green oil longer to dissolve than the solvent in the red oil, especially in humid conditions.

They make both solvent (red) and water (green) based filter oils.