Where to Move in Texas? (Almost Anywhere)

I work for an industrial systems company and a field engineering/sales position has opened up in Texas + a few surrounding states.  Of course riding is my main priority so I am trying to get a feel for what the state has to offer.  I have read a bunch of threads on here and other websites and Texas seems to offer a lot, however it is hard to pin point the best off-road areas.  Since Texas is such a large state I am sure some areas are better located for riding than others.  I like tight trails and hare scramble racing but could see myself riding MX again.

If you had a choice to move anywhere in Texas where would it be?  I'm a single guy in my late 20s, so no family pressure.  My only real restraints are a reasonable distance to an airport (for work) and probably close to a major city but I don't mind a commute.  I had been looking at the Tyler area based on some research.  No guarantee I will be offered the job but I have been considering a change for some time now.

If you move to Tyler, you are going to stay single.

I would sure go spend some time there before I made a big commitment (I lived there in the early 80s- single and mid 20s- and hated every minute of it).

I live in Dallas, and the only good thing about it (besides kicka$$ job opportunities) is it's easy to get out of (airport and 500 interstates).

The only other good thing about Texas is you can ride all fall/winter/spring. and summer too, if you like 100+ in all your gear.

You might check out the Hill Country- say- Austin area. Much more undulation than Tyler/Dallas/Houston. But Austin is just another big ugly city like Dallas/SanAntonio/Houston.

If you move to Tyler, you are going to stay single.

I would sure go spend some time there before I made a big commitment (I lived there in the early 80s- single and mid 20s- and hated every minute of it).

I live in Dallas, and the only good thing about it (besides kicka$$ job opportunities) is it's easy to get out of (airport and 500 interstates).

The only other good thing about Texas is you can ride all fall/winter/spring. and summer too, if you like 100+ in all your gear.

You might check out the Hill Country- say- Austin area. Much more undulation than Tyler/Dallas/Houston. But Austin is just another big ugly city like Dallas/SanAntonio/Houston.

Thanks!  This is the type of info I was looking for.  I had a preliminary interview and management seemed happy I was looking to move "up" in the company, so I am starting to do more research.  Austin was another part of Texas I looked at but I did not see much in riding opportunities.

I live in Houston (La Porte actually) Obviously, this is the place to be when it comes to industrial jobs, however, it's not the prettiest of places, but luckily theres a lot of riding areas. The Sam Houston National forest is big and has an extensive trail system. Skull Creek is another. There are tons of mx parks around too, Rio Bravo, Three Palms, Highlands, Badlands, Ultimate MX, etc,  and most have trails of some sort, though they are not extensive. Places like Gilmer and Alto are a few hours away, but it's doable for a weekend. 

The thing about Texas, if you don't already know, is it's spread out. Having to drive 2 or 3 hours to have some fun is not uncommon, nor is it a big deal. I consider anything under 35 min "right down the road". 

Edited by RAGEman
  • Like 1

MotoX178, I've lived in Texas most my adult life, relocated from SoCal and was at first disappointed in the riding selections. Now living here for more than 30 years there are a lot good places to ride. Barnwell is great, the other areas around Houston for MX are top notch like Rio Bravo! Lots of MX history there!!

I've lived in Tyler, Waco, Dallas, and now Houston. All are great choices for jobs and other opportunities. I love the Austin area but it has exploded and seems to have lost its charm but that's my opinion. However, there are some really nice places west of Austin like Hidden Falls OHV Park. It's in the hill country, great tight trail system and close to lake Travis!

Close to Dallas/Ft Worth area there is Lake Grapevine, Munster, Red River area (close to OK-TX border) and some newer places north west of Ft Worth near Bridgeport TX.

If you are close to Tyler then you would be close to Arkansas which provides really tight, single track trails. Mena Arkansas comes to mind as well as Broken Bow OK! I left a lot tire marks up there!

As you can see there are plenty of places to ride it's going to take a little research and as stated above, 90% is privately owned. I have found that the owners are great people that like to ride just like us!

Good luck in the new job and hope to see you on the trails!

I live in the DFW area. There are a few places to ride single track. Red River Motorcycle Trails being my favorite. There are four cross country series raced here as well as one Enduro series. Most race series are raced 45 minutes to a hour and half from the dfw area. The Enduro series trends to go further out.

DFW is growing rapidly.

Thanks all, right now I have gone through a few meetings with HR regarding the job opening.  The position requirements only list Spanish speaking as "preferred" but they are now saying it is a requirement... I do not speak Spanish so I will need to see what they finally decide on.  The other option is a territory in Kansas/Missouri which does not look nearly as appealing.