Sign in to follow this  

1997 xr400 bajaD kit died midriding

So this bike has been giving me problems from the get go. I bought with the baja designs kit already installed. Last summer I had to bring it to a shop for transmission issues in the case which is usually out of my league. 1100 dollars later. my valves were spaced incorrectly and caused some damage to my tranny. Bike ran great for the first warm day this spring. Second ride I was riding down the road and the bike died suddenly. I replaced the spark plug which had been a previous problem, but after kicking many, many, many times which sometimes helps on this bike I was getting no turnover. gas is good, oil is fresh, carb is a mikuni pumper which had been working previously from this problem. Im thinking its something electric. No battery on this bike and it looks like where the stator exits the case is siliconed sealed/ non-leaky. which leads me to think someone has previously replaced the stator, but Im not sure.

I did have luck jump starting the bike once where it ran funky for about 100 yards in second gear only. 

Im thinking of replacing the stator as it seems like a semi-amateur could replace, but I wanted to get a second opinion. Why wont this bike kick over?

The stator runs in an oil bath, so I don't see a problem sealing the wires with silicone.  It may have been replaced or rewound for more capacity.  Again, no problem.

The valves have no relation to the tranny.  This makes no sense.

Did you store this bike for more than a month?  Jets in the carb could be plugged.

the tranny issue seems unrelated to the current one, I was just ranting. The bike was stored for about 3-4 months this winter. It started up 3-4 kicks when I first started it and ran just fine, drove around town for about an hour with no issues. Second time riding about 20 minutes into driving on the street the bike died and would not kickstart. 

Carb got a good cleaning last season I kinda doubt about the plugging. I am seriously at a loss. what could cause this bike to die mid-ride, and not kick over or even sputter.

If my bike sat for three to four months,  I would be removing the carb to check the pilot jet and fuel screw/passage.  

Yeah BR, the carb got a good cleaning last season, before putting the bike away for 4 months this winter. So the problem can't be related to that.

• Like 1

so i took the carb out and cleaned the shit out of it for good measure. improved, but not working properly. It runs for about 5 seconds and dies. Ive tried adjusting the fuel mixture screw 1.5 turns out. and white screw 2.5 turns out. same result, it wont idle at all.  next step is turning up the idle on the carb. kicking this bike is exhausting. I know all the reviews about the Mikuni carb rave for it, but I seem to have a lot of trouble with it. Anybody else out there feel this way. Trailr and BR Im sorry I doubted you about the carb cleaning. it took all of 2 hours to get it super clean again.

Edited by cooahs heavy

Corrosion in the spark plug cap?  Remove resistor in cap with screwdriver.  Resistor can be replaced with brass or stainless bolt.  Leave spring.  Clean contacts with Q-tip and muriatic or just replace the cap.  The spark is tiny and hard to see.

Make sure too that the plug cap isn't loose on the end on the coil wire. Like BR said, spark can be hard to see. Hold the plug in your hand and kick the engine over. If you get a shock, you at least know the system is working.

Is your gas tank cap venting properly?

Carb vent lines not plugged up with mud or bugs?

Engine stop switch on the handlebars working correctly?

Describe this previous problem you've been having with the spark plug.

Did you drain the carb before storing it for 3 months?

If not my bet is the carb, even if you cleaned it. Especially since you said its better after the cleaning.

I have the Mikuni and LOVE it. 

Edited by cjdoig

SO, I took the carb out for a 3rd or 4th time i forget taking it apart piece by piece to dip into a carb cleaning bath. broke a tooth off the float holder body destroying my carb ); . ebay got me a fresh mikuni for $280, better than the usual 390/400. Installed the bike still gave me no turnover, my heart sunk I went to bed in the depths of depression. rolling back and forth in bed I began to cry myself to sleep. Woke up early this morning and toying around I found 2 random wires Bw and Gy disconnected.Connected the obvious wires, but a solid green is still hanging freely. However the bike turns over and runs like a mean lion. All other electrics working fine? Im so confused. The electrics on this bike continue to amaze me but it rips and pulls the front tire up in 2nd and 3rd gear. I dont know if they came loose while riding and all this carb business was in vain, but Im hoping the carb was &%$#@!ed and i replaced it as necessity.(let me live on my world of self satisfaction) Trials and tribulations of the xr400. I love this bike but it is very frustrating when it doesnt work. I used the same gas I had taken out two weeks ago and it was still good.

Damn man, im sorry. Sounds like its running better than ever tho so thats good. I wonder if those wires are linked to the kill switch? I used shrink tubing on all the connections on my baja kit.

Happy trails