Sign in to follow this  

2000 RM 250, how do you make them run good. dog stock.

I have a 2000 RM 250, how do you make the motors run good n right, I have not ridden it in years. The last time I rode it the power was like on off and not a lot of it. It is a power jet.

I heard the 97 was a much better designed cylinder to work with, it will bolt on my 2000. If anybody knows anything about these bikes that would be great. Thanks.

I do have carbs I can use without the power jet.

Keep in mind that your bike is 14 years old, it could be way over due for more than just a piston.  Yes, it could be made to run like new but it's going to take more than some work with a power washer.  The cylinder could be out of round so it may be time to replate, so pull it and check it out.  While your in there really clean the power valve and set it correctly when reinstalling (a P.O. could have messed with it).  Replace the reeds (yes they do wear out), I like Boyesen Pro series reeds with stock reed blocks.  Repack the silencer, one that has no packing may be louder but it's actually producing less power.  If the pipe is dented then fix it or replace it.  Also consider new crank seals, spark plug and a JD jet kit.  Finally, don't forget to check over the wiring harness, after all these years there's bound to be some wires needing TLC.

Thanks but when I bought the bike it was like close to new and still is, I ride a YZ of this vintage year and boy those run good compared to a RM. This bike was notorious stock for being a mess power band wise. The clutch is typical Suzuki of these year ( what clutch ). I think I want to keep it but want the power band fixed.

Thanks for the help but the bike was stock except for FMF exhaust and all was right with it. I can play with jetting. The bike hit furious in the middle and that was it.