Sign in to follow this  

Electric starter problems?

I was just wondering anyone else's electric start giving them probelms? Ill get on my bike sometimes and have to grab the clutch and hit the start button maybe 15-20 times before it makes any noise. Not anything major just wondering why it could be doing that tuanks everybody

Meaning you hit the starter button and nothing…. no click from the starter relay or starter motor spinning?

The PCB inside the switch assembly broke on mine, which required me to push the starter button all the way in… sometimes it wouldn't make contact.  I opened up the assembly and put a small piece of aluminum sheet metal to reinforce the PCB and push it back into place.  However it could be anything from loose/corroded connections to flaky starter relay to kill switch to ignition switch, etc….

Well just tried pushing it all the way in like u said and now the buttons broke

I didn't say YOU should push it in all the way... just that I had too.  Either way, the problem was that your PCB was cracked or broken already.  Either you fix it or replace the switch assembly.

• Like 1

Thanks lol i will. I know u didnt say to the button broke wayy to easy i just pushed it a lil and now it doesnt sit right. Now sometimes when i grab the clutch to shift it sounds like the starter starts running im guessing its to do with the buttuon assembly

Anyway anyone knows where to get the parts for the button? Tt store has the whole button assembly for 91$. Dont have the money for that at the moment thanks again everyone

If it sounds like the starter is spinning when you pull the clutch it probably is. 

There is a one-way clutch on the starter drive so it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not it doesn't hurt anything.

With the starter push button stuck whenever the clutch is pulled in to satisfy the safety switch it will crank.

While it won't hurt it to crank a bit while running I would not want to be sitting at stop lights with the clutch pulled and the starter spinning.  The starter could still heat up, draw down the battery, and it isn't going to last as long.  For the short term when you stop put it in neutral so you can let the clutch out.