Sign in to follow this  

Trading in new yz450f, need advice.

I have a brand new left over yz450f that i bought from the dealer back in february of this year and feel like it is too harsh to ride. I rode one of my riding buddies' 2008 crf250r and it felt so light, flickable, comfortable and incredibly controllable. The power never felt like it was too much, it just felt perfect compared to my yz450f. The crf250r seat height was about 3 inches lower than my yz's seat height all thanks to a lowering linkage and seat shaving, the yz had me on the tips of my toes when i was on it, would that have made a big difference in the amount of control I felt on my 450?

After riding the crf250r it really made me want a 250f, so I found a 2013 yz250f and asked if they would be willing to make a trade for my brand new 450 after explaining my situation. They said definitely after sending them videos of it running and pictures of it, but they want $500 to take care of taxes on the 2013 yz250f. I told them I would take that offer and come do the trade in next wednesday and they went ahead and listed it as sold on their website.

I have ridden my yz450f twice, once for about an hour, and the 2nd time for about 5 hours. I felt like it was heavy around turns, extremely tiring to ride with the way you had to really work to keep in control of the power. I honestly feel like I could never utilize a 450 to its true potential, but I feel right at home on the 250 and like I could definitely maximize it's potential with time and practice. What do you guys think as far as the trade and I'm open to any and all advice/ criticism you guys can dish out.

Let the games begin....

How much did you pay for the 450F? How much will you have into the '13 250F once you pay that extra $500? Is selling the 450 outright not an option?

If it were me I would at least try selling the 450 and putting the extra cash in my pocket not theirs. If you can't get what you want then trade it in.

Also, you said you rode a crf250 and liked it. If I were you I'd try to ride the yz250f first, before I made another mistake buying something you don't really like.

How much did you pay for the 450F? How much will you have into the '13 250F once you pay that extra $500? Is selling the 450 outright not an option?

If it were me I would at least try selling the 450 and putting the extra cash in my pocket not theirs. If you can't get what you want then trade it in.

Also, you said you rode a crf250 and liked it. If I were you I'd try to ride the yz250f first, before I made another mistake buying something you don't really like.

I paid $5500 for the yz450f, which is a great deal, but I've been trying to find someone who would like to buy it for the same amount. I've had multiple people interested in it, but the people that are interested can't afford the $5500 i am asking. One guy told me he wasn't willing to pay $3900 for it, another told me that he "knows it's definitely worth the asking price" he just couldn't afford it at the moment. Then other people have texted me asking what I wanted for it. Test Riding the 2013 yz250f isn't really an option considering I'm traveling an hour and half to pick it up at a dealer. I feel like I may have to take the risk and go for it. One big thing with the 450 is that the amount of power and torque it had really took a lot out of me and I still couldn't completely control the power it had a majority of the time, especially coming out of turns and over the woops section in the little riding area I usually ride at.

Edited by mattmyers34

put some flywheel weights on the 450 and run her. This will tame the engine down a bit, you could also play with the gearing. You may find that after a few months on the 250 you want the 450 again. with only 6 hours in the seat you barely broke her in put some seat time in. :thumbsup:

I hate to see this happen but it happens too often.  People buy a bike that is too much for them. 

If you really think you will be happier on a 250 I wouldn't keep the 450.  Yes your going to lose money but at least you will have a bike you want to ride.  If you can break even then that would be awesome.

Edited by DirtSmoker250
  • Like 1

I hate to see this happen but it happens too often.  People buy a bike that is too much for them. 

If you really think you will be happier on a 250 I wouldn't keep the 450.  Yes your going to lose money but at least you will have a bike you want to ride.  If you can break even then that would be awesome.

Wow, that sounds really bad. I did pick up the yz450f brand new in Feb for $5500 taxes and all, which is a pretty smokin deal from a dealer. And even with paying $500 more for the 2013 yz250f it still places my buying price slightly under market value.

If you will only have 6k into the 250F and you are sure thats the bike you want I'd say go for it. Thats not an unreasonable amount of money by any means for a brand new bike these days.