Sign in to follow this  

" Easy Off oven cleaner"-Pig plastic cleaner

My xr has white side covers and i have tried soap and water, cleaners and car wash high pressure hoses in an attempt to get them as clean as possible with average results. Its hard to get the grease and dirt out that gets deep into scratches and such. Just for the hell of it tonight i sprayed some easy off oven cleaner on the covers, once i had them off the bike. I left the spray on for 30 seconds and wiped off months of crap and grime that refused to come off. Did each side cover twice only leaving on for 30 seconds. This did a fantastic cleaning of the covers and did not hurt the clearcoat in any way and did not dull anything. I know im crazy for trying it but it worked great and was cheap. If anyone wants to try it, do it in a well ventilated area and wear a mask and gloves. Do at your own risk! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I use those magic eraser scrubbing pads and they work excellent. They are cheap and you only need to wet them with water.

I think over cleaner is lye, which is nasty stuff.  I use it to de-carbonize two stroke parts.  Keep it well away from your eyes.  Also it will hurt aluminum parts.

Toxic indeed. Just like when any other chemicals are used, you have to be careful to protect your self.  The stuff does work well on cleaning up stubborn ground in old dirt on the piggies sides. She is squeaky clean and ready to go play in the mud and get filthy again like a good little pig! :goofy:

oven cleaner will strip anodizing off aluminum also...be careful if you use it

I use McGuires plastic polish and a buff ball on my cordless drill makes the worst looking plastic look new.

I just don't clean the plastics. Problem solved.

I'm with you.

My XR is really starting to look grungy, but I'm going to go ride a bunch of dirt trails in just two days, so what is the point of cleaning it now?

I've used similar reasoning for the past several years, by the way. :cool:

Has anyone tried the oven cleaner on their red fenders? I could see the white but not sure about the red.

Has anyone tried the oven cleaner on their red fenders? I could see the white but not sure about the red.

Use WD40 on your fenders. It won't screw them up and leaves a residue that helps them shed grime the next time around.

For my white plastic parts including white gas tank I use Soft Scrub cleaner and before someone stole it I used a stainless steel pool cleaning brush to rub the Soft Scrub(doesn't scratch) and that worked really well without toxicity.