Sign in to follow this  

DRZ dies after 5 blocks

We just rode the drz's along the  white rim trail, and a few other roads in Moab, 2 weeks ago we rode the drz's into the snowline and above,

brought the bikes home, emptied the gas cans into the tanks, one container had a 50:1 mix which we divided among 2 bikes and then filled the desert tanks. 

One of the DRZ's will not go further than 5 blocks now, starts like a charm, but then just dies while riding, forget trying to start the sucker, just drains the battery. Other DRZ has no issues. Both have seen same roads, same riders, same maintenance. The dying one is a 2007.

Does someone have an idea what it could be????  Going to use gumout this weekend, or is sea foam a better choice. The desert tank is full !!!

I am not comfortable rebuilding the carb, but can do in a pinch.

Any help would be appreciated

Abby norm , check the oil for fuel contamination , it could be a leaking fuel tap or needle and seat in the carb , greg

Thanks hinksy, sounds like a plan. Want to see if I can fix it before I'm forced to bring out in.

Could be vapor lock. After it sits a while can you start it? If you can get it running again after a bit of sitting try running it without the gas cap. Also next time it cuts out pull the fuel line off at the carb and make sure it's flowing.

Flushed fuel system, drove it around a bit, then pushed back home. Checked oil, very thin and smelling of gas. It's going to the mechanic....thanks everybody for helping.

Didn't anybody catch that he put in 50:1 mixed gas ? I really don't know what running basic 2 stroke mix through a reg gas using 4 stoke will do besides smoke a lot and foul the plug. I imagine the carb passages would be a little restricted from the thickend fuel until all that fuel was gone and fresh fuel washed the oil residue away.

The other suggestions above a valid. Checking of all fuel flow and intake pathways. Making sure electrical systems function properly and battery has a full charge.

Fuel mix was only maybe 1/2 gal into the 5 gal tank.....and the other DRZ has the exact same fuel in it's tank.

BUT......yeah a but,  this flooded DRZ had problems in the past, left the petcock on and it just filled into the oil.

Don't know why a mechanic didn't see what the problem was the??!! Guess we were very lucky to have done the

White rim trail with no hitch.

Edited by Abby Norm