Sign in to follow this  

Stock Gearing - S Model

My new to me 2005 s model has 15-44 gearing.  Is this stock?  If not, what is stock gearing?  This bike runs out of steam too quckly on the freeway.  I am thinking of going smaller in the back.

Thanks.

Mark R.

Albuquerque

yep stock. same as my 2014. I just ordered a 41 tooth that should help. I don't think a stock motor will pull a 39 tooth.

15/44 is stock S gearing , Either go 16T in the front or a 41T rear. But you will lose low end grunt

you wont get much that way on the rear sprocket, maybe 5 mph more .. you can get several more mph with a taller rear tire like a 130/90 if your legs are long enough, but the bike will pull it no problem on the street .. on the dirt even idling around in first in the rough stuff you'll be doing like 25 mph heheh ... yes the 3x3 mod is definitely a must do to, although it doesnt help the gear situation it just runs better ..

Edited by cowpie

I did do the 3x3 mod and a re-jet.  I will get the smaller rear sprocket.  It just spins too fast on the freeway. 

Thanks.

Mark

I have been using 15/41 for years now on my S. I like it better on the freeway. I just always have to remember. Its a small thumper. Not an ADV bike and treat it as such.

• Like 3

With 15/44 I felt 60-70 mph was fine. I felt underpowered and ran 14/47 until the 3x3 and re-jet when I felt I had more power to go back to 15/44. I now only ride downtown city streets with no highway so I am running 14/47 and enjoying the extra torque. IMO The drz is a 30 something hp bike and it needs the higher rims to cruise at freeway speeds although it feels like it's gonna blow itself up

• Like 1

I have been using 15/41 for years now on my S. I like it better on the freeway. I just always have to remember. Its a small thumper. Not an ADV bike and treat it as such.

Jim:  I ordered a 41 for the back, and the next day, I ordered a 16t for the front to be safe.  I won't run both, but I noticed the snail chain adjusters out back at "5" with stock gearing, and if I go to the 41 with this chain, I might run out of adjustment.  Chain only has 3800 miles on it. 

No problems with clearannce with a 16 tooth up front are there?  The 15t on there now looks mighty close to the rubber swingarm protector / chain slide.

Edited by MR5627

The chain retainer in front of the counter sprocket will need to be removed and ground down for clearence when using the 16 tooth. Maybe even part of the case. The slider part may need ground down but some peeps let the sprocket chew the plastic. Don't know personally. I just stayed with 15 up front. With taller sprocket gearing (16/41) you will have some lugging in 5th gear at speeds less than 55mph. You will probably have to use a lower gear (3rd or 4th) around town.

Edited by Jim BurnCycle Abbott

With stock DRZ400s sprockets (a 15T front ant 44T rear) I could cruise at only 72 mph comfortably because my ears were not tuned to the sound of the motor.  When stock geared, on the hwy I'd shift to 5th at 45 mph because it sounded right.  After the 41T rear I was so ecstatic that I dropped the rear sprocket even more to a 38T in the rear.  I can go as fast as I want anytime up to about 87 mph to 103 mph with 107 mph being my all time (so far) max speed with my bike geared 15T 38T.  I've got four bikes right now and the DRZ400 will be the last to leave.  I almost forgot to mention that the chain will need to be 4 links less than the stock chain.  Not two links, but four from whatever the stock is, I forgot.

Edited by Leo310

Jim:  I ordered a 41 for the back, and the next day, I ordered a 16t for the front to be safe.  I won't run both, but I noticed the snail chain adjusters out back at "5" with stock gearing, and if I go to the 41 with this chain, I might run out of adjustment.  Chain only has 3800 miles on it. 

No problems with clearannce with a 16 tooth up front are there?  The 15t on there now looks mighty close to the rubber swingarm protector / chain slide.

15/41 will require chain shortening....

Depending on the riding load , 16/41 is going too tall on a stock engine....

If increasing the engine power , no problem....

With stock DRZ400s sprockets (a 15T front ant 44T rear) I could cruise at only 72 mph comfortably because my ears were not tuned to the sound of the motor.  When stock geared, on the hwy I'd shift to 5th at 45 mph because it sounded right.  After the 41T rear I was so ecstatic that I dropped the rear sprocket even more to a 38T in the rear.  I can go as fast as I want anytime up to about 87 mph to 103 mph with 107 mph being my all time (so far) max speed with my bike geared 15T 38T.  I've got four bikes right now and the DRZ400 will be the last to leave.  I almost forgot to mention that the chain will need to be 4 links less than the stock chain.  Not two links, but four from whatever the stock is, I forgot.

I also run 15T 38T. i gotta say i love this set up. The bike is comfortable to cruise from 70-80 easily and can still pull second gear power wheelies.  I mostly ride with guys with sport touring bikes and they tend to drive on the fast side.  So being able to hold the bike at 75mph for awhile without going deaf from the noise of the engine  pays off  :ride:

15/41 will require chain shortening....

Depending on the riding load , 16/41 is going too tall on a stock engine....

If increasing the engine power , no problem....

Since I had bought a new 15t front, and a new 41 tooth rear, I went ahead and bought anew chain, and shortened it to the correct length.  I am pretty certain this new ratio will be fine.

Thanks.

Mark

yep stock. same as my 2014. I just ordered a 41 tooth that should help. I don't think a stock motor will pull a 39 tooth.

it will pull 15/41 fine, and 15/39 also. the 1/4 second that you're engaging the clutch at a stop light will seem a little longer, but that's the only time you will notice it. once on the interstate/highway cruising at 70-80 is fine, it's more an issue of the windblast for the RIDER than it is the engine speed or vibration. 

Since I had bought a new 15t front, and a new 41 tooth rear, I went ahead and bought anew chain, and shortened it to the correct length.  I am pretty certain this new ratio will be fine.

Thanks.

Mark

I run 15/41 with a 140/80 Pirelli A/T Scorpion rear on my E atm.....60 mp/h is around 5,200 rpm