Sign in to follow this  

Broken carb slide

Will a broke slide cause a high idle ? The bottom corners on the inside ( facing the reeds ) are broken off , would never know it looking from the back side . Carbs a mikuni with TPS off a 05 Cr 250 It idles very high with the idle screw completely backed out and TPS unplugged , The carbs mounted on an 03 bike without TPS:banghead:

Will a broke slide cause a high idle ? The bottom corners on the inside ( facing the reeds ) are broken off , would never know it looking from the back side . Carbs a mikuni with TPS off a 05 Cr 250 It idles very high with the idle screw completely backed out and TPS unplugged , The carbs mounted on an 03 bike without TPS . :banghead:

I'm no expert but have spent many hours fiddling with carbs (mainly the mikuni TMX). The way I see it if the corners are chipped off its probably I allowing excess air to flow through due to increased volume which is essentially the same as adjusting the idle scrww in and raising the slide to let more air through at idle.

Don't take that as science, just trying to use my ows experience and logic to help brainstorm. You might be due for a new slide.

Edit: could also be something completely different, like a vacuum leak somewhere. But if it started happening after the slide broke I'd say it's your culprit.

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 1

When I read the title I thought to my self,how could a slide get broken? Hit with a hammer, run over after it fell off of the bike, earthquake? Then I thought probably an air leak.

I've been wrong so many times today though, that I'm not going to even offer a suggestion. :banghead:

• Like 1

I honestly don't know how they got broken off, but are broken off and sharp edges . Like i said you can't even tell they are broken from the backside so it drops down as normal. I bought it as a used carb off ebay but guess what ? This wasn't in any pictures  :foul: . I was hoping it would work anyway so i cleaned and rejetted it and started right up, but with idle like that there is no need to try and adjust it. I guess i'll have to bite the bullet and spend the 250.oo for a PWK. 

I honestly don't know how they got broken off, but are broken off and sharp edges . Like i said you can't even tell they are broken from the backside so it drops down as normal. I bought it as a used carb off ebay but guess what ? This wasn't in any pictures :foul: . I was hoping it would work anyway so i cleaned and rejetted it and started right up, but with idle like that there is no need to try and adjust it. I guess i'll have to bite the bullet and spend the 250.oo for a PWK.

Man what everyone says is true. I finally ditched my mikuni for a pwk on my honda and it's a whole new bike. I'd recommend ordering thru JD jetting so you get their jet kit too. I'd try and get a refund for the broken slide and spend the money on te pwk. Either way, get the pwk!!!

• Like 2

Man what everyone says is true. I finally ditched my mikuni for a pwk on my honda and it's a whole new bike. I'd recommend ordering thru JD jetting so you get their jet kit too. I'd try and get a refund for the broken slide and spend the money on te pwk. Either way, get the pwk!!!

That's how i ended up with 2 of these mikuni i was having problems with my 05 and bought this one for parts no help, finally bought the Air striker . anyway what does scrap aluminum go for by the lb. nowadays ? :lol:

That's how i ended up with 2 of these mikuni i was having problems with my 05 and bought this one for parts no help, finally bought the Air striker . anyway what does scrap aluminum go for by the lb. nowadays ? :lol:

Lol, I was gonna keep my mikuni as a backup but said f it since it was a 36 and my pwk is A. 38 . Just a pain to swap the insulator on reeds and rejet it just to use in an emergency. Just gonna toss it on eBay you should do the same!

(Mention the broken slide :p)

• Like 1

Lol, I was gonna keep my mikuni as a backup but said f it since it was a 36 and my pwk is A. 38 . Just a pain to swap the insulator on reeds and rejet it just to use in an emergency. Just gonna toss it on eBay you should do the same!

(Mention the broken slide :p)

Thats more or less what this was just a parts carb , my son was having problems with his TMX  so i figured i would throw this one together just so we can go ride this weekend until i can get him a pwk ordered , guess it wasn't supposed to be . He will have to ride his bike on Xbox  MX vs ATV reflex  :lol:

Dang you're a mean dad. A good dad would just give his bike to his son to ride.....

:p

I would but i'm not Forrest Gump , besides i'd look like a bloomin' idiot running through the woods chasing a dirtbike  :lol:

• Like 2

Tinkered with the carb again for a few minutes this morning i'm pretty sure the way it's broken it's letting air in as if the throttle slide was raised o well worth a shot . Never try never fail. 

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

Not only do you get his jet kit with the carb, but you also get JD himself.  I have been communicating with him via phone and email the last week or 2 to iron out a jetting issue I am having on my 94 cr125 with an EG 144cc big bore kit that has been kind of finicky after a top end rebuild.  He has been absolutely amazing in the info he has given and IMO has gone out of his way to be helpful with recommending needles.  He is even sending me some new needles and mains at no charge to try.  I would recommend him very highly to anyone. 

• Like 1

Tinkered with the carb again for a few minutes this morning i'm pretty sure the way it's broken it's letting air in as if the throttle slide was raised o well worth a shot . Never try never fail. 

Someone dropped that slide on the ground and it broke the skirt.

EDIT:  contact the ebay seller and ask for a refund.  If he/she refuses, create a dispute with paypal/ebay and they will force the refund.  That just isn't even honest, that carb is not useable.

Edited by frdbtr

post-393906-0-23689300-1398560024_thumb.

Wow. I've never seen that kind of damage to a slide before. I don't even see how dropping it could have done that.

That definitely needs replaced. Fortunately Mikuni slides are a lot cheaper than Keihin slides, you should be able to find that for less than $50.

• Like 1

Wow. I've never seen that kind of damage to a slide before. I don't even see how dropping it could have done that.

That definitely needs replaced. Fortunately Mikuni slides are a lot cheaper than Keihin slides, you should be able to find that for less than $50.

Yea i looked em' up at Honda of troy they are 48 bucks . That's 48 bucks i could spend towards the correct carb for the bike. An airstriker and solve all the problems. The ebay seller doesn't accept returns so no refund. Frdbtr that sounds like my situation i replaced the cylinder ( new from Honda , Stock bore nikasil ) and OEM top end kit and the carb puked out as soon as i installed it. It ran great before but my son had about 30 hrs. on it and found a great deal on the piston kit. All honda for 70 bucks was a steal  :rolleyes: but i have receipts  :p . 

You are right, both hondaeast and Partzilla have it priced below $50.  IMO, I wouldn't spend a dime on that carb, get a refund from the ebay seller.  You can get working carbs that don't need new slides.  Get a refund and get a PWK. 

Yea i looked em' up at Honda of troy they are 48 bucks . That's 48 bucks i could spend towards the correct carb for the bike. An airstriker and solve all the problems. The ebay seller doesn't accept returns so no refund. Frdbtr that sounds like my situation i replaced the cylinder ( new from Honda , Stock bore nikasil ) and OEM top end kit and the carb puked out as soon as i installed it. It ran great before but my son had about 30 hrs. on it and found a great deal on the piston kit. All honda for 70 bucks was a steal  :rolleyes: but i have receipts  :p . 

They may say "no refunds" but I would bet you could get one.  Contact the seller and explain the situation and send pictures.  If they are honest, they will give you a refund, if they won't, open a dispute with ebay/paypal, and I will guarantee you will get your money back that way.

• Like 1

They may say "no refunds" but I would bet you could get one.  Contact the seller and explain the situation and send pictures.  If they are honest, they will give you a refund, if they won't, open a dispute with ebay/paypal, and I will guarantee you will get your money back that way.

Yep. They are very good about taking care of situations like this, where the seller misrepresented parts as being in good condition when they are in fact damaged beyond being usable.

Yea i looked em' up at Honda of troy they are 48 bucks . That's 48 bucks i could spend towards the correct carb for the bike. An airstriker and solve all the problems. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 1