XR200 clutch cover issue

Hi, 2001 xr200r, replaced clutch, having issue with aligning/clocking the kickstart cam on it's shaft.  Not sure how to clock it and it can be put on the splines any which way one pleases.  I put it on incorrectly and the case doesn't seal correctly and the clutch doesn't work.  Seems that there is a trick to it but I am not privy. 

Thanx for any help!!

Clutch cover install on the late bikes is a PITA, just not enough room between the engine and frame.

There are two punch marks on the kick start mechanism; one on the shaft and one on the kick start cam.  These need to be aligned.

Install the cover while rotating the decomp lever, then connect the cable.

If it is together correctly the cover should close completely without any screws. 

Next adjust the clutch lever free play, brake lever, and decomp cable free play (1-2mm, 1/16").

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

Xjma,

Honda made this more complicated then it should have been and you are going to feel like you need 3 hands. I've got it down now, but the learning curve was a long one, so I am sharing this post I did awhile back, with a few minor updates with the hope it helps you out. 

1) Remove spark plug so it's easier to test with your hand.
2) Make sure the eccentric cam dot lines up with kickstarter shaft dot.
3) Install bolt 92101-06012 BOLT, HEX. (6X12) into 2821-427-000 Shaft follower, and "tighten".
4) Install right side case cover so you just get it past kick starter shaft and let the clutch cover rest on the shaft so you have some stability
5) Turn bolt to the left, aka counter clockwise with ratchet w/ 10mm socket, use a pair of pliers, small vise grips, etc, as there has to be constant pressure on the eccentric cam for it slide into it's appropriate place. If you lose tension on the bolt, then you may have to start over and potentially have to reinstall the tension spring on the inside of the clutch cover, part #28274-427-00 Spring Follower.

Make sure you are holding the clutch arm so it is at 90 degrees, or facing toward the motor at the same time.

Slip everything on, nice and easy and make sure the case will seat with hand pressure, don't go overboard.

Leave the rubber hammer in the tool box. 

6) Release ractchet w/ socket, vise grips, pliers, etc.., in should be riding on the eccentric cam correctly at this point. On to testing.
7) Put in at least 4 bolts in an "X" pattern, install kick starter and test to see if the bolt moves, if the bolt does not move, put pressure on the bolt facing towards the motor and retest. If it does move, you are good, reinstall everything. If it does not work, you are back to square one. 

When I get my shift star in, I will try to post some photos on reinstallation as I have to delve back into the clutch side again. 

Michael

Edited by KTM520EXC
  • Like 2

In order to get my clutch cover on properly I unbolted the engine mounts which allowed the whole thing to move upwards a little bit. Probably not the easiest or best way to do it, but it worked for me.

And yes....follow everything that Michael said (KTM520EXC)! It works!! I had to do it a few times to get it right!!!! I guess when you learn the hard way you really learn. :banghead:

• Like 1

OK, I am hoping the following photos help, please note in the last photo and I am holding onto the clutch arm and have constant pressure with my ractchet and socket on the eccentric cam follower. Everything slid into place and all I needed to do was give it a bit of a side fist pound. I then "X" pattern in 4 bolts and check to see everything works.

IMG_91641.jpg

IMG_38321.jpg

IMG_45721.jpg

Edited by KTM520EXC
  • Like 3

Thanx for all the help guys, some real great info here!  I'm very thankful.  Bike is together and running well now....except for the shifting issue.  Grrr.  Not my bike so not sure if it had this issue prior.  Reading up on other posts for now.

Thanx again!!

Hello, I have read this forum above but am still confused on which direction the compression release lever should move. It appears it has to move CC to pull on the cable, the challenge is that the Kickstarter moves CC. How does the KS move the CR the same direction? I am apparently missing something here. My post from another part of Thumper Talk is below. Any helps appreciated. 

Hello, hoping someone that has been through this can help. I just changed the clutch on our XR200. I am trying to get the right side cover back on however I cannot get the KS cam and the compression release to alighn. I can twist it to the left and get the cover on but here is the issue. Kickatarter spins shaft counter clockwise. From what I can tell the release also needs to turn just a small amount cc to engage the cable. How can a cc wise spinning cam make the compression lever also turn cc wise? Totally stumped and have tried many times. The spring came off but I believe it is on right. The challenge is that it pushes the DC lever downwards. is this correct. Any assistance is very appreciated. 

As I recall you need to first line up the dimples on the shaft and cam/gear thing. Then the trick is to turn and hold the kick start shaft slightly down at the same time you close the case. And make Shute the clutch release lever hasn't moved out of position. It's kind of s pain, but it will go together when it's all lined up correctly.

During operation the compression release lever moves CC and pulls the compression release cable, not much movement but enough to slightly lift the exhaust valve.  There is a lever arm inside the case with a spring that forces the shaft clockwise so the inside lever ride against  a cam on the kicker shaft. Because of the spring forcing the compression shaft clockwise the lever will not fit onto the cam when installing the side cover, hence the need to hold it CC until the case closes.

And as previously noted you also need to hold the clutch arm against its return spring so it points across the bike.  You can wait to align the clutch arm until the case is almost closed which helps since most of use only have two hands.  

During the first part of kicker movement the cam pushes the lever and the compression shaft turns CC, when the kicker becomes horizontal the cam releases the lever. For all of this to work correctly it is important for the the two dimple marks in the side case to align, as well as the two dimple marks inside the center cases. Also the rider needs to use proper starting technique.

I was able to get it on thanks to the help here and proper cam alignment. Thank you for you response and help in this!