Sign in to follow this  

1999 XR200R stator wire question

I have a 1999 xr200r ive been working on. Its hard to start and once it does it doesnt want to idle. You can keep it running by revving the throttle but it will just die after about 30 seconds.

I pulled the stator and noticed three wires coming off. A pink, a yellow, and a black and red. The black and red connects to the corresponding black and red wire on the wire harness attached to the bike .

The pink and yellow are in jumped together by a pink wire with yellow squares. The jump wire looks OEM but doesnt seem right. 

Heres a picture

http://imgur.com/Sja9Zlt

The wire in question is on top. at the bottom youll see the yellow, pink, and red and black. 

Edited by XR200kid

Your observations are correct, the pink and yellow are jumpered by the pink wire in the wiring harness. They are the lighting section of the alternator and Honda shorts them together. Keep the jumper in place until you add lights.

The pink and yellow are AC out to power the chassis, usually converted to DC by a regulator/rectifier to charge a battery. 

The earlier alternators had a single blue wire out that provided AC for the lights.

The ignition system on the bike is separate from the chassis system.

My best guess on your idle problems is they are caused by a dirty carb.  The low speed passages in the carb are very small and easily fouled by dirt or stale gas.  

Thanks for the response. I might go ahead and wire in a headlight at one point. Cleaned the carb and did a compression test. 90 psi so time for new top end gaskets.