Sign in to follow this  

Got my New Leftover 250X

Momma is making me 'slow down' so my 13YZ250F was traded in for a 13 CRF250X, Got it home last night, been pounding the backyard MX track to break it is and adjust suspension this afternoon. I ran a modded 08 CRF450X till 2011, and I have to say the 250X stock is far more controllable. I am 60+, 6foot 235lbs and still run and work (volunteer) at the local MX track. I will be running and racing it, when I say racing, doing 40+ class and 5 laps upright not passed is a 'win'. I am planning to mod it like I did the 450X, FMF system and some other goodies, but not for awhile.

As an old time MX'r I just like the feel of the 250X, forgiving, yet so far can do what it is asked to do without those 'panic' moments. I also run a 82 YZ490J in our vintage series so I really do understand those 'panic' moments.

Basically the X will be my exercise bike, the days I work before I go home, pound 5 laps on the beginner/vintage track, with the occasional romp on the modern track. First impression I like it, great potential for what I do, and if I can mod it like I did the 450X this is going to be 'fun'.

• Like 3

<<MX track to break it is and adjust suspension this afternoon.>>

Don't bother going too far with that...the stock springing is for 160lb rider.   Your going to need to get it sprung correctly and a good sag set before anything else.

Get it re-jetted right away.  Like all bikes these days, they come way lean with stock jetting; feels like a different bike just opening up the air box and getting the jetting right.

Jim.

And by the way, have fun :ride:

Jim.

hi old soldier an old ex para here jim is right about the jetting get the ccc mods done if you can it makes such a difference basically cut the top off the box I did mine with a Stanley knife in situ unclip the firescreen and if you can a full fmf exhaust system or similar then it pays to get the bike set up on a dyno its the only way to loose all the little flat spots and it will give your bike a much stronger drive and make your valves last longer

Yes this is going to be a project, as was my 450X when I redid that as well back in the day. Lot of plans, Momma won't even notice as I transform this. Did ride the vintage/beginner track with it yesterday stock and it was a 'fun' ride, and understand the potentials, now just to get the costs past the family accountant (momma).

Raining today so the vintage/beginner as well as modern races were postponed, two events in a row rained out.

Re jetted. FMF pipes on order, spent yesterday with grand daughter at the track and on our back yard track.  Just a fun break in ride.  Figure if I make the same mods I did with the old 08 CRF450X I had should be a fun

machine.

Edited by oldsoldier173

Im not sure i understand the 250x as slowing down from the yz250f? Just seems like softer suspension, and more weight to me if your still planning to race it on the mx track it seems out of sorts. Idk .

Im not sure i understand the 250x as slowing down from the yz250f? Just seems like softer suspension, and more weight to me if your still planning to race it on the mx track it seems out of sorts. Idk .

It has the "button", therein lies the magic!

Yes the button. But for those who are not married, you must understand Momma (the wife) understands that the YZ is a pure racing bike, where the 250X is seen as a trails bike, hence the 'grey area' to keep me riding, until she figures it out, or someone tells her. The X will slow me down a tad, and the more plush suspension on our 'vintage' and beginner track, as well as my track here on 'the farm' works for what I will be doing. No more 'modern' tracks and all the 'air time' and other issues that get me 'in trouble' with the Momma. Just giving it as little more 'get up and go', and a few power perks to ease the transition. And then again, there is 'the button', so with my artificial knees no more kicking, and that is a good thing.

And it is more fun anymore chasing and teaching the grand daughter on her CRF110, than dodging 'kids' chasing a $12.00 trophy.

1501075_10202893251364433_83097436856928

Edited by oldsoldier173
  • Like 1

what kind of jetting and exhaust do you think you'll go with? I just bought a leftover 250x as well