Sign in to follow this  

250 two stroke vs. 450 four

ktm does and thats the best brand in my opinion

Maybe for trail riders but not mx. Thay are relatively new to racing compared to the big four. Ktm is popular but far from the best!
  • Like 1

Maybe for trail riders but not mx. Thay are relatively new to racing compared to the big four. Ktm is popular but far from the best!

? Ktm isn't relatively new to racing. The bikes are just as good as the japanese offerings. Have you tried any of the latest generation?

I dont remember seeing orange bikes in any mx races in the 80's, 90's, or early 00's. New to racing! They have been making bikes for a long time but havent been in top level mx for very long.

Depends what u r used to. I would choose a 2 stroke over an older 450. But I'd take a new 450 over a 250. But the 250 is cheaper to maintain

I dont remember seeing orange bikes in any mx races in the 80's, 90's, or early 00's. New to racing! They have been making bikes for a long time but havent been in top level mx for very long.

Its funny that bike sales are influenced by the .05% of guys that are on tv on saturday nights. Those guys can ride a bike that is any color and tear apart pretty much anyone, plus, there really isn't any part other than the plastics, frame and cases that have any resemblance to something that you or I own. Don't make your choices based on some guy on tv! Get out and ride the bikes!

And don't think the bikes that dungy. Reed. Stewart. And villipotto ride r going to run like the bikes u buy from the dealer. But reed us doing a lot better on the Kawi. And Stewart is a lot better on the Suzuki

Its funny that bike sales are influenced by the .05% of guys that are on tv on saturday nights. Those guys can ride a bike that is any color and tear apart pretty much anyone, plus, there really isn't any part other than the plastics, frame and cases that have any resemblance to something that you or I own. Don't make your choices based on some guy on tv! Get out and ride the bikes!

I dont ride a honda because of who's on tv i ride a honda because they have by far the best build and material quality. They last and perform! Its a lot more than a frame and pkastics that set them apart. If you didnt know Roger DeCosta had to hand build bikes to get Dungey to ride for them.

I dont ride a honda because of who's on tv i ride a honda because they have by far the best build and material quality. They last and perform! Its a lot more than a frame and pkastics that set them apart. If you didnt know Roger DeCosta had to hand build bikes to get Dungey to ride for them.

Other teams don't hand build bikes for their riders? JGR has the whole nascar side at their disposal to machine parts specifically for their riders. 

My riding buddy is torn between a 250 two stroke and 450 four stroke what should he do??

Back the original question:

It depends what kind of riding he does. If he does more open stuff where all the 450ccs are manageable, then I'd go with that. Unless its a tamed 450, such as the woods bikes offered by yamaha, honda, and (my favorite) KTM, they can be a handful in the woods. I had an '05 crf450x (currently on a 250xcf) and it was great in the woods where you can get on it, but when it got muddy or technical it felt like a bit of a pig. However, the power it put out could get you out of trouble. Just make sure you're in shape.

I've never owned or spent much time on a 250 two stroke. I had a KTM 200 for awhile and based on my experience on that, I'd say it could make an awesome all round bike. 450 mx bikes are awful in the woods (I'm a B/C woods rider, an A rider may tell you different) but i fell the light nature of the two stroke will be a great weapon in the woods yet still have speed on the MX track. My 200 was the best woods bike I have ridden but it lacked speed which is what a 250 two stroke should have.

Anyone who has had a 250 two stroke please correct me if I'm wrong...

• Like 1

I just made the switch from a 250ts to a 450fs.

Not that I was looking to do more maintenance but I completely destroyed two topends within 15hours on my cr250.

I came to the conclusion that the way I ride is just hard on two strokes. So I picked up a high strung 4stroke to test my theory.

If i'm wrong at least the top end will cost me twice as much to replace.