Sign in to follow this  

09 ttr e fork seal replacement

Anyone have any advice with changing these? To start I did a Google search for a workshop manual and could only find one available in Europe. I ordeed it but I can't imagine it coming any time soon. Anyways, I google searched 09 ttr fork seal replacement and searched the same on these forums and can't find anything specific to my bike. Everything I read stayes there is a cap bolt at the top of the forks at the triple tree under the plastic cap protectors. I removed the plastic caps and there is no cap bolt to be removed. All there is is the top of the upper fork tube. Here is a pic.......

20140425_220205_zpsckijpvdu.jpg

And here is where it is leaking under the boot. That little spring was out of the gasket and the gasket looks beat up with a gap in a spotimely which I assume is causing the leak.......

20140425_220237_zpsdkmfzuqe.jpg

Everything I can find says to start at t he top and loosen the bolt and to also add oil there when everything is done. With nothing at the top, the only place I'm assuming I can do anything at is the bottom. Does anyone have instructions on how to change the fork oil and seals? Thank you.

You push the spring seat down and there is a clip to remove.  You should be able to download a manual from somewhere that will give you step by step instructions.

Thanks for the reply. I have Googled everything looking for step by step. I have tried to Google 09 ttr shop manual free and all sorts of other combos like that with no luck. I did find a few old posts with links but the links no longer work. The manual I ordered should be here in a couple weeks but I would like to work on it without the manual.

What do you mean by pushing the spring seat down? Do you mean I need to compress the forks? Is the clip at the top of the fork in the triple tree?

There is no threaded cap holding the fork spring as you expect to see on your fork, but just a wire circlip holding that funny-looking plug (the cap) from popping up out of the fork.

The clip sits in a groove on the inner wall of the fork tube, and if you look closely at your first pic, you can see the clip in action, holding that cap in place.

You need to push down on that cap, expose the wire clip a bit more, and pry the clip out.

check this video out its a step by step instructions 

Thanks for the replies guys. I just got the service manual on cd in the mail today. I will take a look and hopefully get into it this weekend.