Sign in to follow this  

250 two stroke vs. 450 four

Seen too many people having too many problems with 450s at races. depends on his skill for another thing, and how much he wants to put into it too keep it running. I have had better luck with 2 smokes, more reliable, will always start(unless you fry the top end) better in the woods, lighter, cheaper.

• Like 1

Seen too many people having too many problems with 450s at races. depends on his skill for another thing, and how much he wants to put into it too keep it running. I have had better luck with 2 smokes, more reliable, will always start(unless you fry the top end) better in the woods, lighter, cheaper.

And just as fast , with the sound, playing the song of our people  :ride:

• Like 2

Depends, if he wants a heavier bike that will wear him out quicker, have tons of power, and have lots of moving parts then go with the 450.

If he wants a lighter bike, that has the power band of a rabid monkey, and less moving parts then go with the 250.

• Like 1

My riding buddy is torn between a 250 two stroke and 450 four stroke what should he do??

That's not a question that can be answered with facts, or by anyone else's preference. He just needs to ride one of each and decide if he likes the 4T or the 2T.

I prefer two-strokes, but that's just a personal preference born of 40+ years of riding them. I don't like the higher center of gravity of four-strokes, the very different handling characteristics, and I despise the engine braking. BRAKES are for braking, the engine is for making you go faster.

But like I said, that's from several decades of two-stroke characteristics being ingrained into me.

• Like 1

That's not a question that can be answered with facts, or by anyone else's preference. He just needs to ride one of each and decide if he likes the 4T or the 2T.

I prefer two-strokes, but that's just a personal preference born of 40+ years of riding them. I don't like the higher center of gravity of four-strokes, the very different handling characteristics, and I despise the engine braking. BRAKES are for braking, the engine is for making you go faster.

But like I said, that's from several decades of two-stroke characteristics being ingrained into me.

I'm with you Chokey.  I don't have as much experience on two strokes as you but for the last two years it has been nothing but my YZ250 and RM125.  A few weeks back I had a chance to ride a '14 YZ450f and it wore me out.  I didn't think the engine breaking was all that bad for a 450 but compared to the 250 two stroke I would never go back to a 450.

• Like 1

450s kick ass on the track especially jumping right out of a corner. For trails a two stroke is light and fun, sounds cool and smell good.

• Like 1