Sign in to follow this  

Need Help Identifying Spring in Jet kit and basic tuning question.

Well I just picked an 07' XR650L. The bike has a Q4 exhaust and the seller said the prior owner, a friend of his, had done some carb jetting. The bike came with a Dyno jet jetting kit In the box of parts. On the first long ride the other day, I had a chance to open the throttle completely and discovered the bike was not jetted right. On full throttle the motor hesitated and cut out. So today I took the carb off and peeked inside.  IN the carb were, 55/158 jets, I'm assuming the stock needle because it has the flat round top and is not adjustable. The slide has been drilled to 5/32. An aftermarket air filter and the snorkel removed. 

So it looks like the previous owner did daves mods but he also bought a dyno jet kit. Since the bike doesn't seem to like the tuning so far, I was wondering If I could mix the dyno jet stuff with daves mods. Say use the adjustable needle on space 3 and the 165 jet according to Dyno Jet.  

Also, I have two lengths of slide springs. In the carb was a long spring compared to the one in the dyno box. Is the Dyno jet or aftermarket slide springs shorter than the stock ones ?

I ride from zero to about 6500 ft.  So I need to compromise some I know..

Any help appreciated.

Sorry I know this topic has been covered and covered.

Thanks.

I don't recall if the jet kit spring was longer or shorter.

The kit spring will work fine with the mods. What usually doesn't work as well if using the kit jets (if non-keihin) with the stock needle.

At 6k feet it dopesn't need to be much if any riccher than stock.

I agree with Dave........you are going to be rich at elevation,,,,,,55/158 and i was a little rich at sea level..

Leave the Dynojet crap in the box......rejet to 52/155 and see how it runs...

B