Comments for a new enduro bike

31 years old, 6"2 185lbs, C level enduro rider. 

I started riding a few years ago on a used ktm 300 exc.  I then made the mistake of getting a ktm 450 xcw....way too much motorcyle and way too heavy for enduro riding.  I traded that bike on a ktm 350 sxf the year they came out and enjoyed that bike, considered getting a recluse but never did.  Had it setup with a heavier fly wheel and re-worked suspension.  Got a divorce, sold the bike and now I am looking for something new to get back into enduro again. 

There are a few dealers around here with really good deals on the husabergs they have left.  My options are:

14 fe 350 - 7100

14 te 250 - 6200

13 fe 250 - 5999

I like the bergs and have decided thats what I want.  I dont really want to spend the money on a new husky or KTM and it would be nice to be a little different in the sea of orange at our texas enduros. 

I like the smooth power and engine braking of the 4 stroke.  I never needed a rebuild or valve work on my 350 after having it for two years so I have no experiance with expensive repairs like some on 4t's.  Im lazy and get worn out clutching all day on a 4t, guessing the te 250 would wear me out. 

The te 250 is attractive because of the price/weight...but I am just unsure about the 2t...havent ridden one in years and I dont think they have changed much.  Might be ok with a recluse clutch.

fe 250 is a good price but I am worried it may be underpowered for my weight...even though our enduro's might see 3rd-4th gear only occasionly. 

I am familar with the 350's power but it is a bit heavier then the others.  Im sure this bike would be very similar to my 350 sxf.

Comments please!  Dont want to make this a 2t vs 4t war but what would you recommend from my comments/experiance?

You're saving almost 1k going with the te250. That's a lot of extra cash! I prefer 2ts but that's just me. I have a little more fun on them and I've gotten better at using my brakes rather than engine braking. But I could say using engine braking should be considered a skill?

How long did you ride the 300? What were your likes and dislikes? I think you will enjoy either the te250, or the fe350 and probably can't go wrong no matter which one you pick.

Thanks for your reply....engine braking is most likley just considered lazy...haha.  Getting the two stroke may make me a better rider...but im late to the game as far as skill...never going to a AA rider so I am just looking to have the most fun.  I had the 300 for about 6 months before I blew it up in the sand dunes.  I have ridden my buddies yz 250 for short periods...its tricked out and really snappy...almost scary.

185 lbs isn't too heavy for the Husaberg FE250. That's a good savings compared to the 350 especially if it has the wide ratio transmission lights and e-start. Given the deals and your weight I would consider the FE250.

You might also add a 2013-2014 Husqvarna (Italian) TXC310 to your list. You could prolly find one for $5,300-$5,750. Great handling power low weight and brakes. TXC250 maybe even less than $5K. They have the TE models too which are road legal. 2014 is end of the line though product wise from Italy.

• 7 months later...

31 years old, 6"2 185lbs, C level enduro rider. 

I started riding a few years ago on a used ktm 300 exc.  I then made the mistake of getting a ktm 450 xcw....way too much motorcyle and way too heavy for enduro riding.  I traded that bike on a ktm 350 sxf the year they came out and enjoyed that bike, considered getting a recluse but never did.  Had it setup with a heavier fly wheel and re-worked suspension.  Got a divorce, sold the bike and now I am looking for something new to get back into enduro again. 

There are a few dealers around here with really good deals on the husabergs they have left.  My options are:

14 fe 350 - 7100

14 te 250 - 6200

13 fe 250 - 5999

I like the bergs and have decided thats what I want.  I dont really want to spend the money on a new husky or KTM and it would be nice to be a little different in the sea of orange at our texas enduros. 

I like the smooth power and engine braking of the 4 stroke.  I never needed a rebuild or valve work on my 350 after having it for two years so I have no experiance with expensive repairs like some on 4t's.  Im lazy and get worn out clutching all day on a 4t, guessing the te 250 would wear me out. 

The te 250 is attractive because of the price/weight...but I am just unsure about the 2t...havent ridden one in years and I dont think they have changed much.  Might be ok with a recluse clutch.

fe 250 is a good price but I am worried it may be underpowered for my weight...even though our enduro's might see 3rd-4th gear only occasionly. 

I am familar with the 350's power but it is a bit heavier then the others.  Im sure this bike would be very similar to my 350 sxf.

Comments please!  Dont want to make this a 2t vs 4t war but what would you recommend from my comments/experiance?

Im 5'10 150lbs and I have a 250xcf. I strongly think you will feel the 250f is underpowered, because thats what I think. You can make them go fast for sure but it requires you to be constantly on the gas and in slow stuff it requires you to abuse the clutch. My dad is 6'2 210lbs and he LOVES his Husaberg 350. The 250 and 350 don't really compare. Yes, the 250f handles much better but the 350 accelerates much faster, and keeps going. 

I don't have any experience with a 250 two stroke