Sign in to follow this  

Was considering 2-stroke...not any more...

Recently I have been thinking about buying a KDX or YZ250(with trail mods) for general purpose riding.....well....went for a ride today that had some nice steep, tight, switchbacks.....the ol' XR400 chugged right up them all with ease. Rocks, ruts, general nastiness....no problem. I love being able to ride a tractor up and through anything. I'll be keeping the XR4 as my mainstay.....I gotta apologize to my baby for even thinking about cheating on her. :cry:

• Like 1

HAHA! I know what you mean. I went for a 25mile single track ride yesterday and was thinking that I was happy I was riding my XR4 instead of a high strung 2 stroke! There were some uphills that I would have crashed on on a 2t trying to fly up them with no torque. And of course, the XR4 made them easy even though it was my first off road ride since last summer I felt fine.

• Like 1

Comparing a xr400 to a yz250 is like comparing a mule to a toroughbred!

:lol: I'm probably more suited to ride a mule than a thoroughbred. The ol' XR hauls my 190lb carcass around with ease.

• Like 1

A plated XR is like the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles.  A two-stroke MX bike is a lot of fun, too.

• Like 2

:lol: I'm probably more suited to ride a mule than a thoroughbred. The ol' XR hauls my 190lb carcass around with ease.

Me too probably, but I love my cr250

if you ever consider a YZ250 again for trail riding (singletrack not quad trails) then you should also consider it with a autoclutch. Completely changes the power delivery. Torque emphasis everywhere. I was very surprised with this modification.

• Like 1

However, I don't do so well in deep sand/sand whoops. When I had a YZ426 it would just blow through all of that. I could see how a properly set up 2t would work good there.

A plated XR is like the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles.  

That might be the best xr400 description  ever.

Most of my passes come at tight switchbacks. You just pick your way thru the fallen 2 strokes littering the ground.

• Like 2

That might be the best xr400 description  ever.

Most of my passes come at tight switchbacks. You just pick your way thru the fallen 2 strokes littering the ground.

Switchback are challenging yet I make them all on my 300 (non KTM). Don't mean I'm the best rider out there but I just haven't found the smoker to be a handicap there. Switchbacks require that you look around the curve when attacking them.

• Like 1

Like my father always reminded me - The right tool for the right job.

I find 2-strokes are fun if you ride them aggressively.

I picked up a KTM 200sx as an opposite of my XR400. Both are 37 HP, the KTM is 50 lbs lighter, the XR400 has more torque. Tight trails the XR400 gets the nod. Plus I don't cry if I drop it.

A few friends went to a KTM 300 EXC and never looked back. They will chug like an XR or go crazy fast. About 30 lbs lighter.

• Like 2

That's what I did. Swore i'd never go back to 2 stroke after having the XR, and wouldn't have, but the 300 is so versatile, a 2 stroke you don't "have to" ride aggressively. Can't believe its only 30 lbs lighter, sure feels like more.

A few friends went to a KTM 300 EXC and never looked back. They will chug like an XR or go crazy fast. About 30 lbs lighter.

I'd like to ride a lightweight torquey two-stroke or a 450 4T, but I can't give up my 250 mile range.  Any idea on mileage for the 300.

That's what I did. Swore i'd never go back to 2 stroke after having the XR, and wouldn't have, but the 300 is so versatile, a 2 stroke you don't "have to" ride aggressively. Can't believe its only 30 lbs lighter, sure feels like more.

I call the KTM 300 a three stroke as it will lug like an XR400 or scream like a 250. My friend had the suspension done by RaceTech and it was great. Dial the bike up to too fast and run over rocks.

2-strokes aren't great on gas mileage. Another reason to hope for Direct Inject to come out.

The Husky 2-stroke forum has lots of talk about aftermarket carbs. No one likes the stock carb. Deja vu. I'd only take long term reports seriously, everything is the best ever after being installed. One nice thing about the new 60:1 synthetics, less oil to take for emergency gas.

• Like 1

People getting around 33 mpg when jetted correctly using either the apt or Lectron carbs on the husky WR300. On my husky the tmx got much better with a jd kit and float adjustment. Never gonna get 250 miles from a two stroke unless DI.

• Like 1

I find 2-strokes are fun if you ride them aggressively.

I picked up a KTM 200sx as an opposite of my XR400. Both are 37 HP, the KTM is 50 lbs lighter, the XR400 has more torque. Tight trails the XR400 gets the nod. Plus I don't cry if I drop it.

I would certainly like to try a KTM300 sometime. I have heard many good things about them.

As far as dropping the bike...it got really windy the other day while we were loading up and my XR blew over in the back of my truck before I could get both tie-downs installed :facepalm: (and I use a Baxley wheel chock that I have for my GSX-R track bike) ....the only damage was a little bit of tearing of the gas tank graphics. My XR has so many other scars that this only added to its character. :thumbsup:

Edited by WWalker
  • Like 1